Top Cornish comic Jethro to come to St Ives
- Credit: Archant
Heralded as Cornwall’s top comic, Jethro will bring his unique brand of laugh-a-minute West Country tales to the Burgess Hall, St Ives.
The larger than life character will be stopping off in the town as part of his national tour.
He promises plenty of tear-jerking, farcical stories featuring his old friends Denzil and Slip Along Trevaskis, as well as hilarious tales from his extensive repertoire and his successful career in television and theatre.
His small-screen outings have included stints on The Des O’Connor Show, where he appeared nine times, and on Jim Davidson’s The Generation Game – twice to give a demonstration of how to make a Cornish pasty. Alongside filming two televisions specials of The Jethro Junction, he also took to the stage in front of the Queen in 2001 for The Royal Variety Performance.
He was born in 1948 in St Buryan, in west Cornwall. After leaving school, he began an apprenticeship as a carpenter before working as a timber man in a tin mine. At 18, he joined the St Just and District Operatic Society and, in addition to his bass voice, locals found he had a talent for making an audience laugh. He sang and told jokes in pubs, leading to his meteoric rise to the top of the county’s comedy circuit.
Expect an evening of old-school entertainment as Jethro takes an alternative look at life in a way only he can.
The Hunts Post has a pair of tickets to the show to give away.
- 1 Evidence of Huntingdon's past revealed during excavations
- 2 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 3 BID's new Huntingdon town manager has plans for 2022
- 4 Bypass and junction improvements preferred plan for St Ives
- 5 Garage demolition opponents set up Facebook group
- 6 Camp Beagle protestor has charges against him dropped
- 7 St Neots man in court on drugs charges
- 8 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 9 Plumbing ringleader who ‘traded under multiple names’ jailed
- 10 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
To stand a chance of winning, just tell us what Jethro’s real name is.
Answers on a postcard or sealed envelope to The Hunts Post, 30 High Street, Huntingdon, PE29 3TB.
Closing date is Wednesday, August 20.
INFORMATION: Doors open at 7pm and the show will start at 7.30pm on Thursday, August 28. Tickets cost £19.50 from One Leisure St Ives on 01480 388500 or www.burgesshall.net. For more information, visit www.jethro.co.uk.