Family activities at IWM Duxford this October half-term
- Credit: Richard Ash/Andrew Tunnard
There’s plenty of half-term activities, exhibitions and events for families to enjoy at IWM Duxford this October.
Captain Sir Tom at 100 opens at the Imperial War Museums site in Cambridgeshire on Saturday, October 24.
Included in the price of admission, this new display in IWM Duxford’s Land Warfare Hall celebrates Captain Tom, who captured the nation’s hearts during the coronavirus pandemic with his incredible fundraising efforts.
The Captain Sir Tom at 100 display will feature a selection of 100 birthday cards Captain Tom received on his milestone birthday, donated to the museum by him and his family.
Visitors can see some of the creative designs and heartfelt messages which were sent to the former British Army Officer, who was also appointed as IWM’s first honorary patron earlier this year.
Throughout October half-term, a range of family activities will be taking place at IWM Duxford, including Cockpit Control, a chance for families to delve into the mystery behind why so many American Air Force pilots crashed in the 1940s.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile at Flight Academy visitors can learn the principles of flight by designing the perfect paper plane.
Aeroplane Investigators gives curious families the chance of joining a team of expert conservators, discovering what it takes to protect Duxford’s world-famous aircraft.
- 1 Driver of fully laden HGV who failed breath test 'couldn't stand up unaided'
- 2 Super slimmer who lost one third of her body weight crowned woman of year
- 3 It's snowing! Send us your snow photos
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Hunts police called to 'numerous breaches' of covid regulations
- 6 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 7 Complaints as elderly people wait in freezing conditions for vaccine
- 8 Two weeks left to respond to proposed flight path over Huntingdonshire
- 9 Villagers call for action after 'worst floods in years'
- 10 Two men to appear in court to face aggravated burglary charges.
If you are looking for something a little more daring, Family Mission: D-Day Edition is an interactive storytelling experience about the biggest invasion in history.
These drop-in sessions are free to attend and are included in the price of admission.
Check the visit planning point upon arrival for the daily schedule.
For one weekend only this half-term, you can also dip into Spies and Disguise on Saturday, October 24 and Sunday, October 25, from 10am to 3pm.
Families taking part in this new activity at IWM Duxford will be tasked with mastering the art of disguise, tackling an assault course and cracking codes in order to complete their secret mission.
Spies and Disguise celebrates the release of the new book Find the Spy! in partnership with Puffin Books.
It is also worth popping in to see The Ops Block: Battle of Britain exhibition, which grants visitors to IWM Duxford access to newly transformed and previously unseen historic Second World War rooms.
For more, visit www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford