The Wedding Present in Cambridge to mark 30th anniversary of Tommy
- Credit: Archant
The Wedding Present is embarking on a series of concert dates this autumn which includes a stop-off in Cambridge.
They will perform at the Storey’s Field Centre, in Eddington Avenue, Cambridge on October 3. The four-piece is celebrating the 30th anniversary of its first singles collection - Tommy.
Tommy was a compilation album that collected the band’s first four singles and accompanying B-sides, plus selected tracks from two early BBC Radio 1 sessions. It was released in July 1988, on The Wedding Present’s own record label, Reception Records, and provided an overview of The Wedding Present’s frenetic output before the debut album, George Best.
Although it was a few years into their career, before they came upon the defining idea of releasing one single a month for an entire year, The Wedding Present were, from the very beginning, a singles band, first and foremost. Shortly after the release of the George Best, the band gathered all of their pre-LP singles and EPs onto one handy 12-track disc. Tommy is not only the definitive look at early Wedding Present, it’s one of the great albums of the mid-’80s indie scene. The speedy rush of the rhythm section and David Gedge’s everyday-life lyrics and inimitable guitar style (in a scene where seemingly everyone else was mimicking Johnny Marr, Gedge’s manic up-and-down strum was instantly recognisable) were so important to the development of this style of music that, without these singles, things likely would have sounded very different.
David Gedge is hoping to find time to continue writing and publishing issues of Tales From The Wedding Present - his auto-biography in comic book form – as well as continuing to DJ around the country.
You may also want to watch:
More information and tickets from: www.theweddingpresent.co.uk.
- 1 Emergency services close St Neots road after medical emergency
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 6 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 7 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 8 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 Haul of weapons including a knuckleduster seized from Little Paxton home