Sophie’s Choice: St Neots Time Bank
- Credit: Archant
A group in St Neots have set up a way for people to share their knowledge and skills with others in the local community and be rewarded for it – in time.
Started in 2012 the St Neots Time Bank now has around 120 members who give their time to help others.
Coordinator Georgina Corley said: “I decided to set up the group as it was something that was going around the country. All my life I have done volunteering work and I like helping people so I thought this was a good idea.”
For every hour of time a member gives providing a service for another participant, they receive one hour time credit.
This means that participants help each other out when they have a few hours of spare time on work that struggle to do or can’t do alone.
“It can be anything from sewing to knitting, DIY to gardening – it all depends on what people want to get involved with,” added Mrs Corley.
With members that range from 18 to 90-years-old and live throughout the PE19 area it is a charity has become recognised by St Neots Town Council at its Community & Business Awards.
- 1 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 Public meeting to discuss Luton aircraft stacking system
- 4 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 East West Rail host public event to discuss controversial project
- 7 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 8 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 9 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
“We were awarded with charity of the year by the town council which was brilliant.”
However there is more that the army of volunteers want to do and they are looking for more members.
“The more people have got in the group the more time we can give to people,” added Mrs Corley.
What is it? St Neots Time Bank
Where is it? Throughout St Neots
When is it? Various events throughout the year
Contact: Georgina Corley on 07590 909057, or email email@example.com
Cost: No registration fee, materials will be charged if used.