Sophie’s Choice: St Neots Time Bank
- Credit: Archant
A group in St Neots have set up a way for people to share their knowledge and skills with others in the local community and be rewarded for it – in time.
Started in 2012 the St Neots Time Bank now has around 120 members who give their time to help others.
Coordinator Georgina Corley said: “I decided to set up the group as it was something that was going around the country. All my life I have done volunteering work and I like helping people so I thought this was a good idea.”
For every hour of time a member gives providing a service for another participant, they receive one hour time credit.
This means that participants help each other out when they have a few hours of spare time on work that struggle to do or can’t do alone.
You may also want to watch:
“It can be anything from sewing to knitting, DIY to gardening – it all depends on what people want to get involved with,” added Mrs Corley.
With members that range from 18 to 90-years-old and live throughout the PE19 area it is a charity has become recognised by St Neots Town Council at its Community & Business Awards.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 8 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
“We were awarded with charity of the year by the town council which was brilliant.”
However there is more that the army of volunteers want to do and they are looking for more members.
“The more people have got in the group the more time we can give to people,” added Mrs Corley.
What is it? St Neots Time Bank
Where is it? Throughout St Neots
When is it? Various events throughout the year
Contact: Georgina Corley on 07590 909057, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost: No registration fee, materials will be charged if used.