Rock Choir invited to sing at Tony Hadley celebrity gala dinner
- Credit: Archant
More than 100 singers from St Neots, Huntingdon and Cambridge were invited to sing at the Tony Hadley Gold Classic Celebrity Gala Dinner on September 15, in aid of Action Medical Research.
The choir, led by Rock Choir’s Carrie Rawlings, sang a selection of well-known hits including Spandau Ballet classic True at the Holiday Inn, Peterborough. Other guests and performers, including the legendary, Tony Christie.
Tony Hadley hosted his annual golf day in support of Action Medical Research, the leading UK-wide charity funding vital research to help sick and disabled babies, children and young people.
The event was organised by Action’s Peterborough committee and chairman, Angela Hyde, said: “It was an amazing event that was full of fun and laughter. The Tony Hadley Golf Classic was a huge success and we were so lucky to have singers and comedians on-hand to entertain the players at our gala dinner. The Rock Choir was absolutely brilliant and I’d like to thank them for helping make the evening so special.”
Huntingdon Rock Choir member Nikki Stock said, “It’s always lovely to sing with Rock Choir at charity events but the delight and surprise on the audiences faces when they walked in to us singing was thrilling - it gave us all a great buzz. The audience were so appreciative and we felt so special to be starting the night off with our performance.”
In the past 12 months, the Cambridgeshire Rock Choir has performed live on BBC 1’s The One Show for Children In Need, raised the roof for The East Anglian Air Ambulance charity, performed at Huntingdon Race Course and been part of the proceedings at The Butterfly Ball, at Kimbolton Castle.
This autumn the choir will be singing in The Grand Arcade Shopping Centre, in Cambridge, as part of the Christmas light’s switch-on and in December they take to the beautiful Trinity College Chapel to sing as part of a series of fundraisers for the East Anglian Children’s Hospice.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 3 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 4 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 5 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 6 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 7 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 8 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 9 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 10 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
Rock Choir is the UK’s largest contemporary choir, with in excess of 25,000 members in more than 360 local communities. There are no auditions and no requirements to read music or have any previous singing experience. Rock Choir members get together each week to attend fun, friendly rehearsals where they are taught specially arranged pop, rock and chart songs.
New members are always welcome and anyone interested in joining can try a free 90-minute taster session.
INFORMATION: Visit www.rockchoir.com or call 01252 714276.