Robin Fitzgerald’s wine column
Our wine expert guides you through the wines of the week.
Wines of the Week
Montes Reserva Chardonnay and Malbec 2010/9, Chile (both a third off, �5.99 at selected Co-op and Somerfield stores until March 8). Excellent, rich, flavoursome duo. Creamy, lightly nutty, tropical, peachy, yet fresh tasting chardonnay - enjoy with say, lemon sole or sea bass.
Plus a powerful, firm, spicy, but smooth black fruited malbec with touches of chocolate and vanilla oak. Great with simply cooked steaks or richly sauced red meats.
Whites and Reds
You may also want to watch:
Torres Vina Sol Chardonnay 2009, Spain (third off, �4.99 at Morrisons until February 27). Fresh and peachy chardonnay from the consistently good Torres stable, with grapefruit and vanilla oak also emerging. Herby baked salmon also approved.
Oyster Bay Chardonnay 2009, New Zealand (down to �7.99 at Waitrose until March 8). Upfront lime, melon and nectarine flavours to please you with say, seafood or white meats.
- 1 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 4 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 5 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
Isla Negra Chardonnay and Merlot 2010, Chile (both half price, �4.49 at Tesco until February 22). Ripe, flavoursome (apple, pear and pineapple) chardonnay and then a smooth, cherry and plum fruited merlot we’ve come to expect each year.
Casillero del Diablo Sauvignon Blanc and Merlot 2010/9, Chile (both third off, �4.65 at Sainsbury’s while stocks last). The Devil’s cellar’s latest crisp and clean sauvignon with appealing mix of citrus, gooseberry and hint of peach. Plus their rich, smooth, plum and red berry fruited merlot.
Tesco Finest Organic Colchagua Valley Pinot Noir 2010, Chile (down to �5 at Tesco until February 22). Attractive, aromatic, multi-flavoured pinot (strawberries, cherries and redcurrants), made specially for Tesco by award-winning Cono Sur. Went down well with half price sirloin steak from the same store.
Wild Rock Gravel Pit Merlot/Malbec 2008, New Zealand (down to �7.99 at Waitrose until March 8). Unusual, classy, award winning blend - nicely oaked, plenty of character with concentrated, spicy plummy and dark fruit. Great match for beef or lamb.