Robin Fitzgerald’s wine column
Our wine expert gives his top tips of the week.
Wines of the Week
Crux Marlborough Sauvignon 2009, New Zealand (half price, �4.99 at Morrisons until February 27). Brilliant value, dry, juicy, zesty citrus and gooseberry-led sauvignon.
Vina Leyda Garama Single Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc 2009, Chile (25 per cent off, �8.15 at Waitrose until February 15). Award-winning, well structured, minerally sauvignon with grapefruit and lime aromas and flavours emerging. Both these sauvignons went down well with Barry’s Plaice, Fenstanton haddock and chips.
Whites and Reds
You may also want to watch:
Artesano de Argento Pinot Grigio and Malbec 2010, Argentina (down to �5 at Tesco until February 22). Crisp, slightly minerally pinot with floral, tropical and citrus notes. Plus an aromatic, rounded, multi-flavoured malbec, including blackberry, blackcurrant and spice – even better in a year or two.
Castillo de Calatrava Tempranillo Gran Reserva 2002, Spain (half price, �4.99 at Sainsbury’s until February 8). Multi-award winning tempranillo with lots of berry fruit aromas and flavours, boosted by extended oak ageing – good partner for roast lamb or duck.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 5 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 8 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 9 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
Mayu Selected Vineyards Syrah 2008, Chile (down to �6.99 at Waitrose until February 15). Intensely flavoured, spicy, black fruited and peppery syrah – great with say, hearty casseroles, shepherds pie or tangy cheeses.
Bergerac Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot Grande Reserve 2009, France (half price, �4.99 at Sainsbury’s until February 8). Ripe, well balanced red and black fruited blend with spicy undertones – enjoyed with Farmers Market Toulouse sausages and mash.
French Connection Premier Cru Champagne Brut NV (half price, �14.99 at selected Co-op/Somerfield stores until February 8). Surprisingly good, well balanced blend of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay with zingy, but not over the top bubbles and lemony, toasty flavours.
Nicholas Feuillatte Champagne Brut NV (better than half price, �14 at Morrisons until March 8). Another well balanced, fruity champagne with good bubbles and crisp, lasting flavours.