Robin Fitzgerald’s wine column
Our wine expert gives his top tips of the week.
Wines of the Week
Crux Marlborough Sauvignon 2009, New Zealand (half price, �4.99 at Morrisons until February 27). Brilliant value, dry, juicy, zesty citrus and gooseberry-led sauvignon.
Vina Leyda Garama Single Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc 2009, Chile (25 per cent off, �8.15 at Waitrose until February 15). Award-winning, well structured, minerally sauvignon with grapefruit and lime aromas and flavours emerging. Both these sauvignons went down well with Barry’s Plaice, Fenstanton haddock and chips.
Whites and Reds
Artesano de Argento Pinot Grigio and Malbec 2010, Argentina (down to �5 at Tesco until February 22). Crisp, slightly minerally pinot with floral, tropical and citrus notes. Plus an aromatic, rounded, multi-flavoured malbec, including blackberry, blackcurrant and spice – even better in a year or two.
Castillo de Calatrava Tempranillo Gran Reserva 2002, Spain (half price, �4.99 at Sainsbury’s until February 8). Multi-award winning tempranillo with lots of berry fruit aromas and flavours, boosted by extended oak ageing – good partner for roast lamb or duck.
- 1 Charming 'cakery' selling sweet treats opens in Ramsey
- 2 New bridal shop is childhood dream for Michelle
- 3 Lack of NHS dentists see people resorting to 'Victorian' teeth pulling
- 4 Covid-19 'virtual ward' will help patients recover at home
- 5 Petition calls on county council to reject waste incinerator
- 6 Community help plant new trees in St Neots park
- 7 Trainee chef reaches finals of national competition
- 8 Cigarette butt in stolen car puts burglar behind bars
- 9 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 10 Bakery and baking school opens after Crowdfunding push
Mayu Selected Vineyards Syrah 2008, Chile (down to �6.99 at Waitrose until February 15). Intensely flavoured, spicy, black fruited and peppery syrah – great with say, hearty casseroles, shepherds pie or tangy cheeses.
Bergerac Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot Grande Reserve 2009, France (half price, �4.99 at Sainsbury’s until February 8). Ripe, well balanced red and black fruited blend with spicy undertones – enjoyed with Farmers Market Toulouse sausages and mash.
French Connection Premier Cru Champagne Brut NV (half price, �14.99 at selected Co-op/Somerfield stores until February 8). Surprisingly good, well balanced blend of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay with zingy, but not over the top bubbles and lemony, toasty flavours.
Nicholas Feuillatte Champagne Brut NV (better than half price, �14 at Morrisons until March 8). Another well balanced, fruity champagne with good bubbles and crisp, lasting flavours.