Robin Fitzgerald’s wine column
Robin Fitzgerald picks the week’s top wines.
Wine of the Week
Domaine Vistalba Phebus Cabernet Sauvignon 2009, Argentina (down to �5.99 at Waitrose until January 25). Splendid, powerful, old vines. Decanter gold award cabernet, with rich, concentrated black fruits and long, rounded finish. Ideal with steak, roast beef or mature hard cheeses.
Whites and Reds
Blason de Bourgogne Chardonnay Cote Chalonnaise 2008, France (down to �6.99 at Morrisons until January 23). Citrus, grapefruit and lime led, lightly-oaked Burgundy of which cold loin of pork also approved.
You may also want to watch:
La Grille Classic Barrel Fermented Chenin Blanc 2008, France (down to �6.99 at Waitrose until January 25). Fish and poultry will also appreciate this unusually dry, crisp chenin with citrus, apple and hints of tropical fruit emerging.
Yali Winemakers Selection Sauvignon Blanc and Merlot 2009/10, Chile (both down to �4.49 at Tesco until February 1). Attractive, clean, grapefruit and lime-led minerally sauvignon plus a tasty merlot with ripe berry and plum fruit.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
Palo Alto White and Red Reservas 2009, Chile (both down to �5 at Sainsbury’s until February 1). Another attractive, crisp, minerally sauvignon, this time with gooseberry and grapefruit emerging.
Plus a full-bodied, rich, spicy, herby, black-fruited blend of cabernet sauvignon, carmenere and syrah.
Yellow Tail Chardonnay and Shiraz 2009, Australia (both down to �5 at Sainsbury’s until February 1). Aromatic, flavoursome, slightly creamy, peach, apricot and citrussy white. Try also their ripe, yet fresh, peppery, blackcurrant-led shiraz.
St Chinian Seigneur de Salvanhiac 2008, France (half price at �4.99 at Morrisons until January 23). Robust, yet rounded, full bodied, herby, well balanced three-grape blend, with appealing red and black fruit – went well with Huntingdon Farmers’ Market minty lamburgers.
Chileno Cabernet Sauvignon-Petit Verdot 2009, Chile (down to �4.99 at selected Co-op and Somerfield stores until January 19). Firm, well structured, rich, cherry and berry blend – good partner for ripe cheeses or hearty casseroles. Look out also for their attractive sauvignon blanc and merlot ros� versions available under the same offer.