Robin Fitzgerald’s wine column
Robin Fitzgerald picks the week’s top wines.
Wine of the Week
Domaine Vistalba Phebus Cabernet Sauvignon 2009, Argentina (down to �5.99 at Waitrose until January 25). Splendid, powerful, old vines. Decanter gold award cabernet, with rich, concentrated black fruits and long, rounded finish. Ideal with steak, roast beef or mature hard cheeses.
Whites and Reds
Blason de Bourgogne Chardonnay Cote Chalonnaise 2008, France (down to �6.99 at Morrisons until January 23). Citrus, grapefruit and lime led, lightly-oaked Burgundy of which cold loin of pork also approved.
You may also want to watch:
La Grille Classic Barrel Fermented Chenin Blanc 2008, France (down to �6.99 at Waitrose until January 25). Fish and poultry will also appreciate this unusually dry, crisp chenin with citrus, apple and hints of tropical fruit emerging.
Yali Winemakers Selection Sauvignon Blanc and Merlot 2009/10, Chile (both down to �4.49 at Tesco until February 1). Attractive, clean, grapefruit and lime-led minerally sauvignon plus a tasty merlot with ripe berry and plum fruit.
- 1 Matt Hancock at Hinchingbrooke Hospital today
- 2 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
- 3 Check out some of Huntingdonshire's fascinating history
- 4 Man dies following collision near Bluntisham
- 5 New trophies to celebrate achievement at St Neots school
- 6 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 7 Landmark A14 viaduct demolition is captured on camera
- 8 A fund has been set up in memory of Nathan Cowell
- 9 Body discovered in Hartford believed to be missing Nathan
- 10 Interactive map shows Covid Indian variant cases in Huntingdonshire
Palo Alto White and Red Reservas 2009, Chile (both down to �5 at Sainsbury’s until February 1). Another attractive, crisp, minerally sauvignon, this time with gooseberry and grapefruit emerging.
Plus a full-bodied, rich, spicy, herby, black-fruited blend of cabernet sauvignon, carmenere and syrah.
Yellow Tail Chardonnay and Shiraz 2009, Australia (both down to �5 at Sainsbury’s until February 1). Aromatic, flavoursome, slightly creamy, peach, apricot and citrussy white. Try also their ripe, yet fresh, peppery, blackcurrant-led shiraz.
St Chinian Seigneur de Salvanhiac 2008, France (half price at �4.99 at Morrisons until January 23). Robust, yet rounded, full bodied, herby, well balanced three-grape blend, with appealing red and black fruit – went well with Huntingdon Farmers’ Market minty lamburgers.
Chileno Cabernet Sauvignon-Petit Verdot 2009, Chile (down to �4.99 at selected Co-op and Somerfield stores until January 19). Firm, well structured, rich, cherry and berry blend – good partner for ripe cheeses or hearty casseroles. Look out also for their attractive sauvignon blanc and merlot ros� versions available under the same offer.