Robin Fitzgerald’s wine column
Robin Fitzgerald selects his top wines of the week.
Wines of the Week
THREE tasty, easy drinking Ros� wines from Tesco – each down to �4 when “any 3 for �12” until February 1.
Storks’ Tower Tempranillo-Shiraz 2009, Spain. Spicy, ripe, yet fresh, with red fruit aromas and flavours.
Caves St Pierre Cotes du Rhone 2009, France. Rounded grenache and syrah blend with red fruit and balancing citrus.
You may also want to watch:
First Cape Limited Release Shiraz 2010, South Africa. Attractive fresh, raspberry and cherry notes.
Whites and Reds
- 1 Two men to appear in court to face aggravated burglary charges.
- 2 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village
- 3 Villagers call for action after 'worst floods in years'
- 4 Parking issues in Huntingdon are a 'safety hazard' says community chairman
- 5 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 6 Stuie Delf launches new fundraising campaign in memory of his brother
- 7 Letter of the Week: 'Could we sue stores who don't enforce mask wearing'?
- 8 Child rescued from floodwater in Godmanchester
- 9 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 10 Godmanchester Rapist is jailed for 15 years
Nobilo Orca Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2009, New Zealand and Wolf Blass President’s Selection Chardonnay 2009, Australia (down to �5.99/�8.99 at Waitrose until January 25). Fresh, crisp, citrussy sauvignon with herby and gooseberry touches. Plus nicely oaked, rich, tropical and creamy chardonnay with mainly peach and melon emerging.
Roc St Vincent Sauvignon Blanc 2009, France (better than half price at �4.99 at Sainsbury’s until January 25). Crisp, zesty, citrus and grapefruit flavoured Bordeaux. Pricey normally, but good buy right now.
Nobilo Limited Release Sauvignon Blanc 2009, New Zealand (half price at �4.99 at Morrisons until January 23). Appealing combination of citrus and tropical flavours – will go down well with seafood dishes as will the other sauvignons.
St Hallet Poachers Blend Semillon/Sauvignon Blanc/Riesling and Gamekeepers Reserve Shiraz/Grenache/Touriga Nacional 2009, Australia (both 1/3rd off to �5.99 at selected Co-op/Somerfield stores until February 8). Two splendid , unusual triple grape blends. Fresh, very drinkable white with attractive range of aromas and flavours, including citrus, lime and tropical fruit. Plus a spicy, well balanced, rich and rounded raspberry-led red.
Carta Roja Monistrell Jumilla Gran Reserva 2004, Spain (better than half price at �4.99 at Sainsbury’s until January 25). Two years oak ageing, juicy and smooth, plum and blackcurrant with minty notes. Good partner for game and lamb dishes.
Torre del Falco Nero di Troia and Via Collina di Diano d’Alba 2007/8, Italy (down to �4.99 and �6.36 at Waitrose until January 25). Two pleasing, aromatic, ripe, fruity reds, both made from native Italian grapes, both good partners for hearty meat dishes.