Nadiya was crowned Bake Off queen after making her own wedding cake
- Credit: Archant
Leeds’ mum-of-three Nadiya Hussain was crowned Bake Off queen last night after a final that saw her make her own wedding cake.
Nadiya has been the most consistent contestant throughout the show and produced some truly original bakes. Her attention to detail has resulted in some beautiful craftwork and she thoroughly deserved to win the title.
At the start of the show, which attracted 13.4 million viewers, Paul Hollywood set everyone’s nerves on edge by announcing that in the final there “is nowhere to hide” and then adding “just keep calm”.
The final signature challenge was to make 16 filled ice buns and poor Ian slipped up by forgetting to add sugar to his bake, but was told that although his icing was messy they tasted like “sheer heaven”.
Tamal’s had a good texture and flavour but, his creme patisserie didn’t set and it was left to Nadiya, who took an early lead as hers “ticked all the boxes”.
You may also want to watch:
The technical challenge was a raspberry millefeuille, which definitely set everyone’s nerves jangling and there was no question of keeping calm now. To be fair, there were issues with all the bakes, but Nadiya, once again, just managed to edge ahead,
The showstopper was a classic cake, which had to have at least three tiers. Tamal did well, creating a sticky toffee pudding cake in the design of a deserted Chinese fishing village, which the judges described as “breathtaking”. Paul said Ian’s carrot cake was one of the best he had ever tasted. Nadiya told viewers she didn’t have a wedding cake as she married in Bangladesh so she made a lemon drizzle cake with some beautifully decorated flowers, which the judges said looked “stunning” and tasted “delicious”.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 8 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
There were some emotional scenes at the end when Nadiya presented her husband with the long-awaited wedding cake and her children looked adorable. Wednesday nights just won’t be the same.