Jump on board vintage buses for a tour of Cambridgeshire this weekend
- Credit: Archant
Classic buses and coaches will be giving visitors the opportunity to hop on board for free this weekend and enjoy a tour of Cambridgeshire.
On Sunday (May 21) an array of vintage vehicles, including a double-decker saved for preservation from locally-based Whippet after 27 years’ service, will be travelling around the county’s streets.
Fenland Busfest will see the centre of Whittlesey closed off for a massive display of buses and coaches, organised by the Eastern Bus Group, which supports bus preservationists and enthusiasts.
Visitors will then be able to take free trips on around 30 of these to local towns including Ramsey, Turves, March and Chatteris.
For those who want to stop off in Ramsey, the Fenland Classic Car Show will be taking place in the town centre.
You may also want to watch:
The Eastern Bus Group recently saved a 1989 Volvo Citybus with Northern Counties bodywork, which had been in service with Cambridgeshire-based independent operator Whippet for 27 years.
Nick Larkin, group spokesman, said: “This is a rare vehicle which will have covered more than a million miles and travelled the 1A route from Huntingdon to Cambridgeshire literally thousands of times. Many people are very pleased that the future of this bus has been secured.”
- 1 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 6 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
To find out more about the event, go to www.easternbusgroup.co.uk.