Hunts Phil announces first two concerts of the season and names its new principal conductor
- Credit: Archant
The Huntingdonshire Philharmonic Society, affectionately known as Hunts Phil, will start the new season with a concert in Godmanchester in October.
Hunts Phil performs a variety of choral and orchestral works, including a Christmas performance, and welcomes Bjorn Bantock as its new principal conductor.
Bantock is the great-grandson of composer Sir Granville Bantock and has conducted numerous ensembles and orchestras in many different countries.
He will join chorus master, Lee Dunleavy, who is working on the current programme, but has announced the first tow concerts of the season, one choral and one orchestral.
“We are delighted that Bjorn Bantock has accepted this role,” said Kay Coope from the Hunts Phil.
You may also want to watch:
Bantock founded and is principle conductor for the London Chamber Strings and regularly conducts the Hertfordshire Philharmonia. Four years ago he moved to Bedford with his pianist wife Hanja and their two sons to take up the position of head of strings at a school in Bedford.
The first is on October 21 at St Mary’s Church, Godmanchester, and features Jessica Smith (soprano) Natalie Davies (mezzo soprano) Robert Tilson (tenor)
- 1 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 4 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 5 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 8 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
Alistair Donaghue (bass) with Dunleavy conducting.
The second in the calendar is a piano concerto on November 11 at Hinchingbrooke Performing Arts Centre, Huntingdon, and features Stephen Meakins on piano and Bjorn Bantock conducting.
Both concerts start at 7.30pm and tickets are available from the website at; www.huntsphil.org.uk.
The society welcomes new members and at present is keen to attract additional singers, brass and string players. The emphasis of rehearsals is that of enjoyment and learning, while working to present performances of a high standard.
If you are interested in joining Hunts Phil, e-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.