Hours of fun at this summer’s big weekend in Cambridge
- Credit: Archant
This summer’s Big Weekend and Cambridge Mela takes place on Parker’s Piece, from July 13-15.
One of the city’s best-loved free outdoor events, organised by Cambridge City Council and Cambridge Live, welcomes thousands of people of all ages across the three days.
The city centre’s historic open space is transformed with an array of attractions and a stream of top artists descend on Cambridge to play alongside local talent throughout the weekend.
Kicking off the Friday night and putting everyone in a party mood is Cambridge-based Swagger, a five-piece funk, rock and cheese band; followed by Ultimate Elton and The Rocket Band.
The music finishes with some ninties pop nostalgia from multi-platinum and Ivor Novello award-winning band Right Said Fred before the Big Weekend’s stunning fireworks display at 10pm. The BPM Live Silent Disco is on Friday and Saturday night.
There is a French market, food stalls and Cambridge Live bar, ARM Gaming Hub in partnership with Cambridge Regional College; light cinema marquee; dance marquee; fun lab, storytelling, children’s entertainment area including, art tent and face painting.
On Sunday, visitors can enjoy the ever popular Cambridge Mela. An event which is designed to celebrate Asian culture and sponsored this year by Thela Street Food Secrets from India. Music, song and dance can be enjoyed in the Mela performance marquee. There will also be Asian inspired craft stalls.
- 1 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 2 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 3 Fire Crews called to a blaze that started in a flat in St Ives
- 4 St Ives man undergoes pioneering heart treatment
- 5 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 6 Hundreds gather to see Santa on The Quay in St Ives
- 7 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 8 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 9 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 10 Thousands more homes set for Alconbury Weald