Hackney Colliery Band comes to Cambridge Junction
- Credit: Archant
The Hackney Colliery Band will bring its 21st Century big brass sound to the Cambridge Junction on November 4.
A tour de force of trumpets, trombones, saxes, sousaphone, marching percussion and electronics, the band
is as inspired by contemporary rock and electronica as they are New Orleans marching bands and the traditional British
brass bands to which their name pays homage.
Formed in 2008 out of a desire to play music that appealed to the feet as much as to the ears, the band has rapidly gained an
army of loyal supporters, including radio support from Lauren Laverne, Gilles Peterson, Craig Charles, Huey Morgan, Jamie
Cullum, Rob Da Bank and John Kennedy.
- 1 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 2 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 3 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 5 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 6 Plans to demolish barn and create organic food business
- 7 Philip Pope named mayor of St Ives for a second time
- 8 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 9 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 10 Public meeting to discuss Luton aircraft stacking system
Since the release of their eponymous debut in 2011, the nine-piece has blown their way into the public consciousness with their energetic and passionate live shows, amassing fans worldwide and reinventing the brass band sound for the modern age.
But the band are never content to rest on their laurels or to keep things simple, and are keen collaborators. Over the years
they’ve run a series of experimental music nights at Ronnie Scott’s, a weekly new material night in venues across London, and
worked with collaborators including Amy Winehouse, Fyfe Dangerfield, Eliza Doolittle, Jamie Cullum, Andreya Triana, Williams
Fairey Band, Rhodes and DJ Yoda.
Tickets are £17 in advance from the box office on 01223 511511 or online: www.junction.co.uk.