Former Bay City Rollers star will visit St Ives in September
- Credit: Archant
Lead singer of legendary Scottish pop band, Bay City Rollers, will visit St Ives later this month, bringing with him well-known hits plus songs from an upcoming album.
Les McKeown and band members Si Mulvey, Alex Toff, Phil Hendriks and Scott McGowan will take to the stage on September 29, armed with classics guaranteed to get people up on their feet.
Songs such as Bye Bye Baby, Shang-a-Lang, Summer Love Sensation, and Give a Little Love are just some of the hits the group will be playing, as well as some new additions from their upcoming album.
Les McKeown joined the Bay City Rollers as lead vocalist more than 40 years ago, propelling himself to stardom with the group’s first-ever single, Remember, which reached number six in UK charts.
More hits soon followed, all hitting the top five places, before their American breakthrough with Saturday Night in 1974.
Their debut British album, Rollin, was also a hit with the public, becoming the first debut album to ever hit number one, and the band enjoyed touring the likes of Europe, Japan, America and Australia.
By 1978 though, McKeown had left, and the band went on to rename itself The Rollers, hiring a new singer and eventually disappearing from the public eye.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 4 New mayor of Huntingdon unveiled at annual town council meeting
- 5 Fresh wave of Camp Beagle protests as vans arrive at Wyton complex
- 6 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 7 Suspected sleeping driver with child on board stopped on A1(M)
- 8 Met Office forecast for Cambridgeshire after weekend of mixed weather
- 9 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 10 Passengers 'thrown from seats' when train sped through Peterborough
Keen to get the group together again, McKeown reunited the band as the Fab 5 Bay City Rollers line-up in 1982, playing sold-out shows in Tokyo and going on to release their first studio album in seven years.
The band performed again in 1999 in their hometown of Edinburgh on New Year’s Eve, and since then its new members have joined the line-up.
Bringing a new energy to the classic hits, Les McKeown’s Bay City Rollers will take to the stage at 7.30pm, with doors opening at 6.45pm.
Tickets are £22.50 in advance, and are available from One Leisure St Ives on 01480 388500, or online at burgesshall.net.