First national tour of a play for young children - about two gay princes who fall in love - reaches Cambridge Junction
- Credit: Archant
A children’s story about two princes who fall in love, called Happily Ever After, will be at Cambridge Junction on Sunday, May 7.
Action Transport Theatre are on tour with their traditional tale with a twist to tackle homophobia and combat bullying.
This is believed to be the first national tour of a play with a gay theme designed for children from five years upwards.
The show was inspired by the Dutch children’s book King and King by Linda De Haan and Stern Nijland.
So far, the play has been performed in over 50 schools in the North West and seen by more than 3,000 children where it has received an enthusiastic response.
You may also want to watch:
Director Nina Hajiyianni said: “There is an absence of gay identities in theatre and wider culture for young children. Just look at the current controversy about the merest suggestion of a gay character in Disney’s latest version of Beauty And The Beast.
“Many families now include same sex adult parents or carers or have other family members who are gay. Where are those children’s lives validated or represented in art? Not to mention younger children who identify as gay themselves. The play powerfully addresses this and the subject of same-sex marriage but not in a heavy handed, preachy way.”
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 3 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 4 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 5 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 6 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 7 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 10 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
Shows at 11.30am and 2.30pm. Running Time 45 minutes. Tickets £10 adult, £6 child from 01223 511511 or junction.co.uk