FILM REVIEW: Foxcatcher (15)
- Credit: Archant
Foxcatcher delves into the true story of John du Pont, the wealthy yet underachieving son of America’s infamous du Pont dynasty. The film follows him as his obsession with wrestling sees him buy his own team, hoping to train them for Olympic glory.
Channing Tatum plays up-and-coming star Mark Schultz, who - keen to step out of his brother-come-coach David’s (Mark Ruffalo) shadow - moves onto the du Pont estate as his prized trophy sportsman.
But when Tatum fails to live up to du Pont’s expectations, the unnerving millionaire brings his brother on board to whip the team into shape. And as David begins to take over the team and question the change in his younger brother, du Pont marks him as a disposable barrier to his reputation.
Steve Carrell’s transformation into du Pont extends beyond his sizeable prosthetic nose, with his dead eyes patrolling his staff and irking those he desperately tries to impress and influence.
Meanwhile, Ruffalo, with his patience and humility, was the perfect choice to honour the memory of David Schultz.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Schultz’s furore in the press was unneeded, with the film offering no real suggestion that his relationship with his wealthy benefactor was sexual. In actuality, Foxcatcher comes down hard on Du Pont’s distant mother, suggesting her life-long disapproval of her son is to blame for his emotionless ambition and disregard for human feeling.
Ashley Whittaker ????
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 7 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 8 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 9 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 10 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers