Dragon boat races planned for St Neots this summer
- Credit: Archant
SUMMER FUN: Expect dragon boats on the River Great Ouse, lion dancing in the park and fireworks at a special summer event in St Neots.
The town council has teamed up with St Neots and St Mary’s Rotary Club to plan a summer extravaganza for 2013. The launch of the event, which was timed to coincide with this weekend’s Chinese new year celebrations, includes the announcement of the St Neots Dragon Boat Challenge in aid of Dementia UK and other local charities.
Organisers are expecting more than 20 crews from local companies, clubs and organisations to compete in the race on Saturday, August 31. Each crew will be made up of 10 paddlers, a beating drummer at the front of the boat and a steering helm at the back.
The festival will also include food and drink, stalls and a spectacular firework finale to round-off the day.
Chairman of St Neots and St Mary’s Rotary Club Mike Truswell told The Hunts Post: “With the superb facility of the Riverside Park, a venue perfectly suited to the event, we hope that local companies, sports clubs, pubs and groups of friends will enter to raise funds for charity and at the same time enjoy a great day out by our lovely river.”
Dan Clarke, coach of St Neots Dragon Boat Team Cool Runings which will be offering pre-race training, added: “We’re delighted to be working with both organisations to bring this great sport into the eye of our local people. The thrill of dragon boat racing cannot be compared to any other sport – it’s truly unique.”
- 1 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 2 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 3 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 4 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 5 Public meeting to discuss Luton aircraft stacking system
- 6 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 St Neots business raises £2700 for Ukrainians in Huntingdonshire
- 9 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 10 East West Rail host public event to discuss controversial project
INFORMATION: For an entry form call 01480 388911 or visit www.stneots-tc.gov.uk. For details on St Neots Dragon Boat Team visit www.coolrunningsdbc.com