Adult Book Review: Great Circle by Maggie Shipstead
- Credit: WATERSTONES ST NEOTS
Great Circle by Maggie Shipstead is the adult book review for this week.
Shortlisted for the Booker Prize this year, this lovely book is an epic tale of flying planes, moonshine and one woman's determination to forge her own path.
Marian Graves is an inspirational heroine who's life story spans the 20th Century.
Rescued from a shipwreck as a child she is brought up by her uncle in the backwaters of Montana, where a daredevil pair of crop-duster pilots inspire her need to fly.
Her life follows this aerial path and includes becoming the infatuation of a moonshinekingpin, through the war years in the UK and up to her final days attempting to fly around the globe via the Poles.
The story is given an up-to-date aspect as Hadley Baxter, an actress in Hollywood, is hired to bring Maggie's life to the big screen. My book of the year!
- 1 Karl Brockett writes about the history of St Ives
- 2 'He is our hero' - D-day veteran Wilf, 102, gets surprise visit
- 3 Huntingdon town mayor supports launch of The Eclettica
- 4 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 5 Oliver Cromwell pub has had a brand new refurbishment
- 6 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 7 Huntingdon is full of Christmas cheer
- 8 Could you give these pets a home?
- 9 Family pay tribute to woman who died following St Ives crash
- 10 Club of the Week: St Ives u3a who have celebrated their 10-year anniversary