Cambridge play is testimonial of political views from across the country
- Credit: Archant
As Cambridge residents, along with others across the country, prepare to cast their vote in the next General Election, the Arts Theatre welcomes a timely new play to the stage direct from the National Theatre.
In the days following the Brexit vote, a team of interviewers spoke to people around the country, aged from nine to 87, to hear their views. In a series of interviews, they heard opinions that were honest, emotional, funny and sometimes extreme. My Country puts their words centre stage. These testimonials are interwoven with speeches from political leaders to create a new play by Carol Ann Duffy, Poet Laureate, and directed by National Theatre artistic director, Rufus Norris.
Norris, says: “One of my ambitions for the National Theatre is to make it truly national and through collaboration, embrace the creativity and opinion around the UK. The Brexit vote unleashed a host of questions about our country, way beyond the issue of Britain’s role in Europe. It articulated a deep disaffection. Those elements provoked a need and opportunity to create a piece of theatre that responds to that palpable sense of frustration and disillusionment. Art has always responded to what is happening now and it’s what I hope we achieve with My Country.”
My Country runs from June 9 till 17.
Times and prices: Monday – Saturday, 7.45pm
You may also want to watch:
and Saturday, 2.30pm: £18 / £23 / £28 /£33
Thursday, 2.30pm: £18 /£23 /£28
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 7 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
- 8 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 9 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
All ticket prices include a £3 per-ticket booking fee.
Box Office: 01223 503333 / www.cambridgeartstheatre.com.