Cambridge play is testimonial of political views from across the country
- Credit: Archant
As Cambridge residents, along with others across the country, prepare to cast their vote in the next General Election, the Arts Theatre welcomes a timely new play to the stage direct from the National Theatre.
In the days following the Brexit vote, a team of interviewers spoke to people around the country, aged from nine to 87, to hear their views. In a series of interviews, they heard opinions that were honest, emotional, funny and sometimes extreme. My Country puts their words centre stage. These testimonials are interwoven with speeches from political leaders to create a new play by Carol Ann Duffy, Poet Laureate, and directed by National Theatre artistic director, Rufus Norris.
Norris, says: “One of my ambitions for the National Theatre is to make it truly national and through collaboration, embrace the creativity and opinion around the UK. The Brexit vote unleashed a host of questions about our country, way beyond the issue of Britain’s role in Europe. It articulated a deep disaffection. Those elements provoked a need and opportunity to create a piece of theatre that responds to that palpable sense of frustration and disillusionment. Art has always responded to what is happening now and it’s what I hope we achieve with My Country.”
My Country runs from June 9 till 17.
Times and prices: Monday – Saturday, 7.45pm
and Saturday, 2.30pm: £18 / £23 / £28 /£33
Thursday, 2.30pm: £18 /£23 /£28
- 1 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 2 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 3 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 4 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 5 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 6 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 7 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 8 Councillors vote to continue school transport for special needs schools
- 9 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 10 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
All ticket prices include a £3 per-ticket booking fee.
Box Office: 01223 503333 / www.cambridgeartstheatre.com.