African children’s choir brings tour to Huntingdonshire
- Credit: Archant
Venues across Huntingdonshire will play host to an African children’s choir in April, starting in Alconbury.
‘Destiny Africa’ will perform at five venues, having travelled from Kampala Children’s Centre (KCC); an orphanage in Uganda.
Former Alconbury CE Primary School head teacher, Linda Dove, has helped to organise this leg of the tour, having sponsored a child from the centre a few years ago.
She said: “I first came across ‘Destiny Africa’ when I took my son to a concert at St. Ives Free Church about seven years ago. Their energy, sheer vitality and passion won me over. I loved their drumming, their songs and the message of hope they gave.”
While at the Alconbury school, Ms Dove invited the group to perform in 2011 before she and her family went to visit their sponsored child at the KCC in 2015.
You may also want to watch:
“It was amazing. My 14-year-old son was an instant hit with the youngsters who were always wanting him to play with them,” she said.
“We helped paint and revamp some of their buildings and generally enjoyed being in their company. We saw the amazing work that is being done.”
- 1 Emergency services close St Neots road after medical emergency
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 6 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 7 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 8 Haul of weapons including a knuckleduster seized from Little Paxton home
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
The KCC now houses more than 100 children, providing education, healthcare and training.
The choir will perform at St Peter and St Paul’s Church in Alconbury on April 8 from 7pm.
Tickets cost £6 for adults and £3 for concessions, and are available on 01480 890 465 or 01480 890 543.
The choir will also perform in Great Stukeley, St Neots and St Ives. For information on these dates, please visit destinyafrica.org