African children’s choir brings tour to Huntingdonshire
- Credit: Archant
Venues across Huntingdonshire will play host to an African children’s choir in April, starting in Alconbury.
‘Destiny Africa’ will perform at five venues, having travelled from Kampala Children’s Centre (KCC); an orphanage in Uganda.
Former Alconbury CE Primary School head teacher, Linda Dove, has helped to organise this leg of the tour, having sponsored a child from the centre a few years ago.
She said: “I first came across ‘Destiny Africa’ when I took my son to a concert at St. Ives Free Church about seven years ago. Their energy, sheer vitality and passion won me over. I loved their drumming, their songs and the message of hope they gave.”
While at the Alconbury school, Ms Dove invited the group to perform in 2011 before she and her family went to visit their sponsored child at the KCC in 2015.
You may also want to watch:
“It was amazing. My 14-year-old son was an instant hit with the youngsters who were always wanting him to play with them,” she said.
“We helped paint and revamp some of their buildings and generally enjoyed being in their company. We saw the amazing work that is being done.”
- 1 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 2 Life is sweet! Cheesecake emporium opens in Brampton
- 3 Paedophile foiled by undercover officer
- 4 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 5 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 6 Event to remember village's war hero
- 7 Celebration of food and drink at town's first street food festival
- 8 Drink-drive arrest after crash in Huntingdon
- 9 Boris Johnson - Time between Covid jabs cut in response to Indian variant
- 10 Do you have items of history for nostalgia group?
The KCC now houses more than 100 children, providing education, healthcare and training.
The choir will perform at St Peter and St Paul’s Church in Alconbury on April 8 from 7pm.
Tickets cost £6 for adults and £3 for concessions, and are available on 01480 890 465 or 01480 890 543.
The choir will also perform in Great Stukeley, St Neots and St Ives. For information on these dates, please visit destinyafrica.org