Youth rugby round-up
W boro Old Gram ians U15s 22 St Ives 17 IN a scrappy game St Ives lost out to Wellingborough at the death. With borrowed subs to make up the numbers, Saints were the side to break the deadlock as Steve Hehir scored a try. Matt Nice added the conversion.
W'boro Old Gram'ians U15s 22 St Ives 17
IN a scrappy game St Ives lost out to Wellingborough at the death.
With borrowed subs to make up the numbers, Saints were the side to break the deadlock as Steve Hehir scored a try. Matt Nice added the conversion.
Adam Buttigieg powered over soon after to complete the first-half scoring.
You may also want to watch:
Wellingborough scored immediately after the break in the corner.
Astute kicking then kept St Ives in their 22, which eventually led to a try.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 7 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
- 8 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 9 Appeal for foster parents to come forward
- 10 Buckden celebrate first cup win in decades with home-grown squad
Saints then leaked another try as confidence waned.
St Ives upped their game again, before Buttigieg dived over to level the scores.
In the last minutes of the match, St Ives' defence couldn't withstand the Wellingborough onslaught and they conceded a try to lose the game.
MoM went jointly to Matt Nice and Matt Taylor.
Ely 6 St Ives U15s 15
ST Ives put in a determined display to defeat Ely.
Saints started better as Dan Hyde charged through to score a try. Dan Breed converted.
Ely came back but some solid defence by David Baker prevented them scoring.
The home side then scored a penalty in front of the posts.
The St Ives forwards won good ball, but the final pass was lacking.
Finally, a long series of rucks ended with Dan Hyde breaking and releasing Simon Dunn to score.
Prior to the break an offside handed Ely another three points.
Ely attacked well in the second half but strong defence by Greg Thurston and Dan Geoghgan kept them at bay.
MoM Dan Breed slotted a penalty late-on to seal a good afternoon's play.
St Ives U13s 57 Rushden & Higham 27
SAINTS avenged their defeat to Rushden earlier in the season with a home win.
St Ives started positively, Pat Nicholson scoring a try which Tom Whiteside converted.
Saints scored freely from then on, Robert Langdown, Jack Bainbridge, Harris Christisson and Pat Nicholson all going over for tries.
Rushden's number eight made some good runs after the break but Jonny Williams put in some brave tackles to thwart his progress.
Pat Nicholson scored two more tries, with Jack Bainbridge and Harris Christisson getting one more each.
Tom Whiteside converted three more tries to round-off a good kicking display.