YOUTH FOOTBALL: St Neots Under 18s beaten in semi-finals by a fellow set of champions
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Town Under 18s saw their double-winning season end in defeat last night (Monday).
The Saints youngsters were beaten 4-0 by AFC Sudbury in a Thurlow Nunn Youth League Championship semi-final – a competition involving the six divisional winners.
It was the first time St Neots, who won the Cambridge Division as well as the Hunts Cup this season, had conceded more than two goals in a home match for more than 18 months.
They were dealt a blow when skipper Isaac Clarke had to be stretchered off with a knee injury, and Saints were still coming to terms with his early exit when falling behind in the 27th minute.
A second goal from South Division top-dogs Sudbury goal followed on the stroke of half-time before they struck again eight minutes into the second half.
You may also want to watch:
A fourth goal followed as St Neots went on the attack in an attempt to claw their way back into the game.
St Neots beat St Ives Town – the West Division champions – in a quarter-final play-off the previous week when a stoppage-time winner from Ben Southwood earned a 2-1 success.
- 1 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 8 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?