YOUTH FOOTBALL: St Ives Town youngsters snatch title glory after final-day triumph
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Town captured the Thurlow Nunn Youth League West Division title in dramatic style on Monday night.
The Saints youngsters, managed by Jack Cassidy and Ben Seymour-Shove, had to win their final match of the season against Wisbech St Mary to leapfrog previous leaders Peterborough Northern Star.
And they did just that courtesy of a 3-0 success at ProEdge Westwood Road in front of a crowd of 117, with all of the goals arriving in the second half.
An own goal gave them the edge before Matt Wright doubled the advantage and Tiago Dias put the result beyond doubt when hitting a third goal.
The young Saints can complete an honours double when facing St Neots in the final of the Hunts Under 18 Cup next Friday, April 7. That match is at Eynesbury Rovers FC.
You may also want to watch:
St Ives also have two junior sides on course to capture Cambridge & District Colts League titles at Under 13 and Under 14 levels.
- 1 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 4 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 5 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder