Young St Ives side have the winners’ tag
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Under 8s made their final tournament in tag rugby a triumphant one.
The local side won all five matches on their way to age group glory at the St Neots Festival of Rugby last Sunday.
They clinched the crown with a 6-1 victory against Olney in the final to complete a memorable season on a high.
The St Ives side have won all their weekend fixtures during 2015/16 and also finished as runners-up in the Cambridgeshire County Cup.
Assistant coach Oliver Burke said: “It has been an amazing season with every member of the team putting in 100 per cent in training, and showing such grit and determination in all of their games.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s great that we have four girls in the team and all the players have fed off the enthusiasm of each other and learned a lot of new skills.”
Jacob Milner has been the leading scorer for St Ives, touching down for more than 100 tries during the course of the current season.
- 1 St Ives beloved market returns to town centre
- 2 Fundraising day at St Neots pub
- 3 What are the outstanding primary schools in Huntingdonshire?
- 4 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 5 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 6 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 7 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 8 The changing face of forests and woods in Huntingdonshire
- 9 Huntingdon care home company scoops award in region's top 20
- 10 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
St Ives Under 8 squad: William Giglio, George Harding, Jacob Milner, Bailey Pitt, Felix Podworski, Alex Tomlin, Edward Wood, Charlie Burke, Travis Bierton, Eion Cook, Lake Sothern, Amelia Wright, Felicity Wright, Archie Steadman, Lilia Milner, Henry Cridland.