Young Kestrels flying the flag
A GIRLS football team returned from a challenging, but successful tournament in Denmark at the weekend. With an average age of 12, Buckden Kestrels were anticipating a difficult task competing in the U14 age group, but produced some exciting football. Bu
A GIRLS' football team returned from a challenging, but successful tournament in Denmark at the weekend.
With an average age of 12, Buckden Kestrels were anticipating a difficult task competing in the U14 age group, but produced some exciting football.
Buckden finished third in the group stage, securing victories against Swedish side IK Vista and Poznaniak of Poland. The team narrowly lost to Swedish outfit Kvarnsvedens IK and 3-0 to Finnish side Salon Pallo.
Buckden lost out 2-0 in the second round to Skoftebyns IF to go out of the competition, their opponents' greater stature paying off.
Goalkeeper Fran George was one of the outstanding players of the tour, while Ellie Wright was selected by the IK Vista coach as his pick for Buckden's player of the day.
Miquela McDonald, Sophie Coulman, Hannah Allan, Megan Taylor, Billie-May Barbury, Lucy Brading and Cath Henderson all found the target as Buckden finished with a record of played six, won three, lost three.
- 1 Huntingdon bookshop gets share of £2m online profits
- 2 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 3 Garage demolition opponents set up Facebook group
- 4 Historic Huntingdon building on the market for nearly £500k
- 5 'Our inspiration' - Baby born four months early survives fight for life
- 6 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 7 Mini-convoy marks funeral of 'kind-hearted' lorry driver
- 8 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Appeal for dashcam footage following three lorry crash on the A14
- 10 Universal credit households to receive £20 for rising living costs
INFORMATION: More details at www.denmarksoccerfestival.com
* The Buckden Kestrels tour party is pictured in Denmark.