Young Hunts aces reach National finals
TWO young stars from Huntingdon Tennis Club have been enjoying success at a national level. Sophia Rolt, 13, played at Wimbledon in the Road to Wimbledon National 14 and under Challenge, while eight-year-old Kira Reuter competed at the nine and under Juni
TWO young stars from Huntingdon Tennis Club have been enjoying success at a national level.
Sophia Rolt, 13, played at Wimbledon in the Road to Wimbledon National 14 and under Challenge, while eight-year-old Kira Reuter competed at the nine and under Junior National Tournament at Roehampton.
Rolt won through to the finals at Wimbledon after winning the club and Cambridgeshire county rounds of the competition. She enjoyed two good wins on the famous SW19 grass before running up against the number four seed Kim Schmider from Cheshire.
Rolt said: "I have learnt so much from the tournament, and it was amazing to play against some of the best players in the country."
You may also want to watch:
Reuter was one of only 16 girls to be invited to the National Tennis Centre at Roehampton, and after three closely-fought matches she was denied a place in the final stages of the competition by just one point.
Julian Payne, coach to both players, said: "It's been a fantastic opportunity for both players. For Sophia to gain the experience of playing at Wimbledon is great, especially given her disappointment last year when she had to retire with a back injury. Kira showed great determination and her performances over the past year have shown great promise for the future.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 4 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 5 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 6 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 7 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 8 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 9 Aggressive and controlling partner jailed
- 10 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages