Yelling prevail in crunch Cambs Senior League clash of promotion hopefuls
- Credit: Archant
One local team boosted their promotion hopes by denting those of another in a Saturday showdown.
Captain Dominic Ascroft-Walker hit 79 and opener Marc Petzer struck 58 as Yelling overcame Needingworth by 106 runs in a crucial Cambs Senior League Division Three battle.
The hosts made 228-8 before their bowlers took charge. Steve Tack bagged 4-40 and Aaron Johnson took 3-27 to dismiss Needingworth for 122 with only Lee Smith (45) offering any real resistance.
Needingworth remain in second spot, but third-placed Yelling are in hot pursuit and boast a game in hand.
There were some fine bowling performances in the Hunts League on Saturday - including two in the same game.
You may also want to watch:
Matthew Wilson (6-24) and Jamie Chamberlain (4-32) were in destructive form as Hemingford Park slammed Ickwell 2nds by 10 wickets in Division Four.
Jonathan Mews took 5-22 to help Buckden to a two-wicket win over Biggleswade in Division Three while Alex Turner returned the excellent figures of 4-1 from an incredible nine-ball spell as Little Paxton saw off Brampton in Division Five B.
- 1 Emergency services close St Neots road after medical emergency
- 2 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 3 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 4 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 7 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 8 Haul of weapons including a knuckleduster seized from Little Paxton home
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal