Woodhead makes his point
United Counties League Division One Irchester United 2 Eynesbury Rovers 2 Eynesbury Rovers halted their losing run of four matches. However, they will have been more than a little disappointed with the result against an Irchester side that has conceeded 1
United Counties League Division One
Irchester United 2 Eynesbury Rovers 2
Eynesbury Rovers halted their losing run of four matches.
However, they will have been more than a little disappointed with the result against an Irchester side that has conceeded 15 goals in their last two matches.
You may also want to watch:
Irchester started the brighter creating two good chances before Rovers took the lead.
James Dove and David Watts combined and Watts's ball into the box took a wicked deflection off a defender and went into the net.
- 1 Emergency services close St Neots road after medical emergency
- 2 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 3 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 6 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 7 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 8 Haul of weapons including a knuckleduster seized from Little Paxton home
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
The hosts then had their goalkeeper, Andy Flatres, to thank as he produced a double save to deny Watts and then Ricky Taylor preventing Eynesbury doubling their advantage.
Both teams had further half-chances to score but the first half ended with Rovers holding a slender 1-0 advantage.
The second half started with a bang but at the wrong end for Rovers as Irchester slammed in two goals inside the first six minutes.
Visiting keeper Danny Workman was beaten by McCourtie when his defence failed to clear a bouncing ball and three minutes later a harsh penalty decision went against Rovers, and McGuire scored from the spot-kick.
Rovers escaped when the hosts hit a post and Workman had to be alert to deny another attack.
Searching for the equaliser Eynesbury had several chances before Dan Woodhead popped up grab a deserved point in the 81st minute.
Even then Workman need to be alert as he saved a late goal bound Irchester effort to keep the scores level and give Eynesbury a well deserved share of the spoils.