WOMEN’S FOOTBALL: Two clean sheets, two wins and six big points for St Ives Town Ladies in the Premiership title chase
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Town Ladies took command of the Cambs Women’s Premiership title race – thanks to two victories on the same afternoon.
Darren Marjoram’s side recorded 3-0 and 2-0 victories in a double-header against Cambridge City Development to roar six points clear at the summit.
Katie Stancombe put St Ives ahead in the first of two hour-long clashes before Mollie Flack enjoyed a memorable moment when doubling the lead with her first goal after almost three years with the club.
Katherine Speed sealed the opening victory late on before breaking the deadlock in the second contest.
That strike was quickly followed by a second goal from Georgia Stancombe, but Saints had to survive plenty of second-half pressure from their hosts with goalkeeper Kira Markwell called upon to make one terrific save to earn her second clean sheet of the day.
You may also want to watch:
Flack (first game) and Ellie Brown (second game) picked up the St Ives player of the match awards.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 6 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 7 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 8 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives