WOMEN’S FOOTBALL: Super success for St Ives Town Ladies in Premiership title chase
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Town Ladies celebrated a top-of-the-table triumph in their first fixture of 2018.
Darren Marjoram’s side beat Cambridgeshire Women’s Premiership title rivals Netherton United 4-2 last Sunday.
Early goals from Katherine Speed and Hannah Seymour-Shove provided the perfect start before Georgia Stancombe struck just after the half-hour.
Stancombe then saw a penalty saved before eventually grabbing her second goal early in the second period.
Leaders Netherton fought back strongly and halved their arrears in the final half-an-hour.
Only a terrific sliding clearance from St Ives defender Ellie Brown prevented them scoring again and setting up a nervy finish.
The success leaves Saints nine points behind Netherton in the standings, but they still possess four games in hand.
- 1 Missing woman back home
- 2 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 3 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
- 4 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 5 Read the fascinating history of The Old Bridge Hotel
- 6 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 7 Jail for Huntingdon man who threatened to kill woman
- 8 New bus service launched to serve Hunts villages
- 9 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 10 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
The club’s Development side drew 3-3 with Histon Reserves in the group stage of the Championship Cup. Georgia Rebane, Molly Berryman and Connie Liddiard hit their goals.