WOMEN’S FOOTBALL: Super success for St Ives Town Ladies in Premiership title chase
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Town Ladies celebrated a top-of-the-table triumph in their first fixture of 2018.
Darren Marjoram’s side beat Cambridgeshire Women’s Premiership title rivals Netherton United 4-2 last Sunday.
Early goals from Katherine Speed and Hannah Seymour-Shove provided the perfect start before Georgia Stancombe struck just after the half-hour.
Stancombe then saw a penalty saved before eventually grabbing her second goal early in the second period.
Leaders Netherton fought back strongly and halved their arrears in the final half-an-hour.
You may also want to watch:
Only a terrific sliding clearance from St Ives defender Ellie Brown prevented them scoring again and setting up a nervy finish.
The success leaves Saints nine points behind Netherton in the standings, but they still possess four games in hand.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 4 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 5 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 8 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
- 9 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 10 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
The club’s Development side drew 3-3 with Histon Reserves in the group stage of the Championship Cup. Georgia Rebane, Molly Berryman and Connie Liddiard hit their goals.