Whitworths 3 Eynesbury Rovers 1
EYNESBURY Rovers suffered only their fourth league defeat of the season as Whitworths dealt a heavy blow to their promotion hopes with a fine second half comeback. The visitors had two free kicks early on, with Jamie Graham forcing a good save from goal
EYNESBURY Rovers suffered only their fourth league defeat of the season as Whitworths dealt a heavy blow to their promotion hopes with a fine second half comeback.
The visitors had two free kicks early on, with Jamie Graham forcing a good save from goalkeeper Craig Neighbour and Ben Daly blazing over the bar. Dave Beeny saved well after 43 minutes and Graham gave Rovers the lead one minute into stoppage time as he blasted home a free kick.
Luke Raftery fired the hosts level seven minutes after the restart and Dan Tyler wasted a good chance to restore the visitors' lead. Whitworths' second came when Jason Crawley converted from the penalty spot when Dave Benny brought down Jason Crawley after 70 minutes.
Rovers responded with Graham's attempted chip and David Watt's effort not enough to beat Neighbour. The hosts' victory was guaranteed after 83 minutes, when Marcus Wharton added their third with an unstoppable 35-yard shot. Rovers wasted chances to pull a goal back as Chris Brown shot wide from six yards.
You may also want to watch:
Eynesbury Rovers now sit sixth in the table and seven points off the second promotion spot occupied by Daventry United, who have two games in hand over them. They next play league leaders Peterborough Northern Star at Hall Road tomorrow (Tuesday) before they take on promotion rivals Northampton ON Chenecks on Saturday.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 5 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 6 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 7 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 8 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'