Weekend Hockey Reports
East League Division One St Ives 5 St Neots 0 ST IVES crushed already-relegated St Neots in the final league match of the season at the Ivo. Iain McIntosh s last game as captain saw both goalkeepers making good saves early on before a clean strike by Dar
East League Division One
St Ives 5 St Neots 0
ST IVES crushed already-relegated St Neots in the final league match of the season at the Ivo. Iain McIntosh's last game as captain saw both goalkeepers making good saves early on before a clean strike by Darren Coles opened the scoring for the hosts. Their lead was soon doubled when a shot was parried to Allan Knox to finish from close range before Paul Swannell scored from a penalty corner for a commanding lead at the break.
The pace slowed after the restart as Ives continued to enjoy the lion's share of possession and Saints failing to hit them on the break. A flurry of penalty corners saw Swannell score two more for his hat-trick and complete the rout. The win propels Ives out of the bottom four but the National League play-offs could still conspire to send them down.
You may also want to watch:
East League Division Four NW
St Neots II 1 St Ives II 2
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 4 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 5 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 6 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 7 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 8 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 9 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
- 10 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
St Ives III 5 Spalding II 2
A HEROIC comeback saw Ives beat Spalding, but the result could be fruitless as a forfeited game elsewhere in the division them in the bottom two. A poor start saw the hosts concede two early on, both coming from swift counters. Captain Richard Corbett started the fight-back, firing home after Warren Bigwood's run before Tim McGlashan drew the hosts level at the break with a smart shot.
Ives started the second half slowly but were kept on equal terms with some good saves by Nick Grant until Rob Brand nudged them in front. Brand and Adam Maltby gave the hosts a convincing lead to make James Cahill's penalty miss at the end insignificant, and they now hope other results do not conspire to send them down.
East League Division Five NW
Cambridge South 4 St Ives IV 3
East Men's League Division Seven NW
St Ives V 4 City of Peterborough VIII 2
PETERBOROUGH took a two goal half-time lead against St Ives with Rob Brand and Adam Maltby again scoring the goals to rescue their team. The pair fired home after the break to draw the hosts level, and their efforts were complimented by Chris Hammond blasting them into the lead. Captain Simon Dew was on target with a clinical strike to complete the comeback as Ives finished a superb season in fourth.