Weekend Hockey Reports
East League Division One Brentwood 3 St Ives 3 ST IVES travelled to third place Brentwood in dire need of points. The conceded a penalty stroke early on but after good play Dave Land rounded the goalkeeper to power home. Second half chances were limited
East League Division One
Brentwood 3 St Ives 3
ST IVES travelled to third place Brentwood in dire need of points. The conceded a penalty stroke early on but after good play Dave Land rounded the goalkeeper to power home.
Second half chances were limited as Ives succumbed twice to penalty corners. They upped the tempo and Derrick Pope sent a bullet-strike into the bottom corner. With moments remaining Land stole the ball and squared to Pope who fired in the equaliser.
East League Division Four NW
St Ives II Horncastle 2
- 1 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 4 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 5 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 6 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 7 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 10 Silent protest at Camp Beagle as vans leave the site
THIS PROMOTION chasing encounter was a tense game with both sides playing some quality hockey. The hosts established a two goal lead within 15 minutes through a Stuart Perry brace. Horncastle upped their game and forced Ives into errors to draw the game level. Ives got a third through Alfie Brenan for a half time lead and looked more composed after the break. Neil Tuffin scored twice to seal a deserved win to boost them to second in the table before they take on league leaders Market Deeping next week.
St Ives III 6 Cambridge City V 1
A RELEGATION battle between St Ives and Cambridge saw the hosts win a chance of survival. Ives took control early on with James Cahill scoring his first since November. He then took advantage of some shocking defending from the visitors give Ives a two goal lead at the break.
Ben Coxen scored early in the second period and the visitors pulled one back. Cahill ensured the perfect end to his goal drought by completing his hat-trick as he converted a penalty flick and then ran in their fifth as the visitors were desperately over committed to attack. Alan Campbell scored late on to complete the rout.
East League Division Five NW
Bourne III 1 St Ives IV 0
East League Division Seven NW
St Ives V 11 Bourne IV 1
A CRUSHING victory over their visitors was enjoyed by St Ives as they blasted past a young Bourne team. Jon Clarke led the way but the visitors soon equalised. Ives captain Simon Dew fired home a first-half hat-trick and Rob Brand put them further ahead at the break.
Karl Buddle fired in twice after the restart and Brand completed his hat-trick after hitting the post twice. Gary Cole scrambled one home and Richard Corbett completed the rout to leave them mid table with two games remaining.