Weakened Stags let it slip late on
RUGBY UNION Huntingdon Stags 10 Old Laurentians 25 DESPITE missing a number of first-choice players and facing unbeaten visitors, Stags turned in a spirited performance in a match that could have gone either way. It was only when Stags tired in final 20
Huntingdon Stags 10
Old Laurentians 25
DESPITE missing a number of first-choice players and facing unbeaten visitors, Stags turned in a spirited performance in a match that could have gone either way.
It was only when Stags tired in final 20 minutes that Old Laurentians were able to secure their victory.
The Stags performance in the first half was perhaps their best since the defeat of Banbury 12 months ago and they claimed two tries for their efforts.
- 1 Missing woman back home
- 2 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 3 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
- 4 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 5 Read the fascinating history of The Old Bridge Hotel
- 6 Jail for Huntingdon man who threatened to kill woman
- 7 New bus service launched to serve Hunts villages
- 8 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 9 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 10 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
Devon Brown was on hand to finish off a fine catch and drive move and Elliot Baldwin finished off a superb passage of play to make the score 10-0.
The home side deserved more for their fine performance but Old Laurentians scored a preventable try on the stroke of half-time that turned the course of the game.
The visitors came out after the break with renewed vigour and their pacy running gave them a converted try and drop goal to take a 15-10 lead.
Stags battled hard but an injury to Matt Parle and tiring legs took their toll and the visitors added two further scores in the final quarter of the game.
Ampthill are the visitors to Hinchingbrooke on Saturday, for a 2.15pm kick-off and Stags' impressive performance will see fierce competition for places with the returning first-teamers.