Washington pens new deal
Boost for St Ives Town ahead of new season as star Conor re-signs
CROWD favourite Conor Washington wants 25 league goals and a top-six finish in the UCL Premier next season after agreeing to re-sign at Westwood Road.
Acquiring 19-year-old striker Washington’s services for another season is a massive coup for Saints, with Premier League newboys Norwich City among bigger clubs sniffing around him last year.
It also gives them a huge boost ahead of the first league game which, when the fixtures were announced this week, was revealed as Long Buckby at home on August 13.
Washington and Co. return for pre-season training tomorrow night (Thursday) ahead of their warm-up fixtures – and the striker said he is looking forward to getting back.
You may also want to watch:
“I can’t wait. It’s been a welcome break – what with my injuries – but I can’t wait to get back on the pitch,” he said.
“I’m hoping to score a few more goals next season and I’ve set myself a target of 25 league goals.
- 1 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 6 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
“Last year I blew hot and cold, so playing how I know I can this year and putting in more consistent performances is my main aim.
“If we get a good start, then there’s no reason why we can’t finish in the top six.”
Joint-managers Jez Hall and Warren Everdell have been busy in recent days with striker Scott Fielding and winger Dan Moyes also signing forms for next season.
On securing the pair, Hall said: “Both Warren and I are pleased to have Scott back in our squad next season.
“His goal tally for this club – something like 80 goals in 160 games – is amazing.
“Moysey [Moyes] is yet another good signing for us as he’ll be a crucial part of how we intend to play our football.
“He’s played over 250 games and is another favourite with the fans, so it’s fantastic news – especially given that there was interest in him from elsewhere.”
News of the trio follows on from St Ives’ double signing last week of midfielder Guy Last and forward Stuart Cobb, with utility player David Cobb – to St Neots – the only established player to have moved on over the summer so far.
Hall added: “We are really pleased with how things are coming together and we’ll be announcing a few more signings to strengthen the squad further over the next few days.”
St Ives’ pre-season training starts tomorrow night at the St Ivo outdoor complex at 7pm and all players are welcome to attend.