BOWLS: Silver Jubilee Vase success and Donald Steward Trophy defeat for Huntingdonshire women’s teams
- Credit: Archant
There was delight for one Huntingdonshire Women’s team and defeat for another in their first fixtures of the new county season.
The local ladies claimed an emphatic 144-88 victory at Northants in their opening Silver Jubilee Vase outing when completing a clean sweep of victories on all five rinks. The successful skips were Carole Hickey, Linda Levi, Mandy Woodrow, Nicky Hastings and Lynne King.
But it was a different story in the Donald Steward Trophy as they were beaten 105-87 by the same county despite wins for the rinks of Nicky Verlander and Andrea Rose.
Hunts are back in action when hosting Norfolk in both competitions next Wednesday (June 13).
You may also want to watch:
Donald Steward Trophy
Northants 105, Hunts 87
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 4 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 7 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 8 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 9 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
Hunts rinks: June Blackall/Daphne Meats/Nicky Verlander won 21-15, Sylvia Armstrong/Pauline Whittlesey/Andrea Rose won 21-16, Janice White/Jenny Martin/Val Corn lost 17-29, Sandra Day/Janet Chapman/Lynda Childs lost 19-22, Glenys Cousins/Jean Whittamore/Celia Steward lost 9-23.
Silver Jubilee Vase
Northants 88, Hunts 144.
Hunts rinks: Pat Brce/Jenny Martin/Carole Hickey won 39-14, Patsy Coles/Jill Francis/Linda Levi won 27-17, Teresa Biccaregui/Joy Kent/Mandy Woodrow won 25-16, Brenda Read/Lisa Haynes/Nicky Hastings won 27-24, Andrea Banham/Jenny Hurst/Lynne King won 26-15.