BOWLS: More Silver Jubilee Vase success and Donald Steward Trophy disappointment for Hunts Women
- Credit: Archant
There is double delight for one Hunts Women’s team – and double disappointment for another.
The local county eased to a second successive Silver Jubilee Vase victory last Wednesday when beating Norfolk 116-95 at St Ives BC.
But, at the same time, the Donald Steward Trophy squad were slipping to a second consecutive defeat when losing 126-90 to the same county at Somersham BC.
Linda Levi and Mandy Woodrow skipped the two successful Hunts rinks in the Silver Jubilee Vase contest which was watched by English Bowling Federation president Trevor Harris. County president Carole Hickey’s trio were involved in a tie in their match.
Hunts also triumphed on two rinks in the Donald Steward Trophy as skips Val Corn and Andrea Rose both prevailed by a single shot, while Celia Steward’s trio were pipped 24-23. But heavy defeats on the other two rinks led to overall defeat.
You may also want to watch:
Hunts return to Donald Steward Trophy action next Wednesday (June 27) when hosting North Cambs at Somersham BC, but the Silver Jubilee Vase side are without a fixture due to North Cambs not entering that competition.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 3 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 4 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 5 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 6 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
Donald Steward Trophy
Hunts 90, Norfolk 126
Hunts rinks: Janice White/Ally Wilson/Val Corn won 20-19, Sylvia Armstrong/Pauline Whittlesey/Andrea Rose won 22-21, Lynda Childs/Janet Chapman/Sandra Day lost 17-28, June Blackall/Daphne Meats/Nicky Verlander lost 8-34, Glenys Cousins/Jenny Martin/Celia Steward lost 23-24.
Silver Jubilee Vase
Hunts 116, Norfolk 95
Hunts rinks: Patsy Coles/Jill Francis/Linda Levi won 35-10, Brenda Read/Joy Kent/Mandy Woodrow won 26-18, Pat Brace/Jenny Hurst/Carole Hickey drew 18-18, Jayne Ferguson/Lynne King/Nicky Hastings lost 18-25, Joan Rogers/Pauline Simmons/Sandra Gentile lost 19-24.