Unwanted double for sloppy Saints
FA Vase Second Qualifying Round St Neots Town 1 Soham Town Rangers 3 THREE defensive errors were St Neots undoing as they slumped out of the FA Vase – losing to Soham for the second time this season. A late Mark Franklin effort did not give manager Scot
FA Vase Second Qualifying Round
St Neots Town 1 Soham Town Rangers 3
THREE defensive errors were St Neots' undoing as they slumped out of the FA Vase - losing to Soham for the second time this season.
A late Mark Franklin effort did not give manager Scott Houghton much consolation on the day club captain Nathan Buckland quit.
The home side played some good passing football, particularly in the first half, but failed to put in the quality of crosses required to cause Soham many problems.
Kevin Ashby stepped into Buckland's shoes at the back and Stuart Beevor spurned an early chance as Saints started well.
- 1 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 2 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 3 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 4 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 5 Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 6 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 7 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Plans for new Pightle land in Eaton Socon after generous donation
- 9 Jacob Crawshaw memorial football match raises more than £8,100
- 10 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
Barrington Belgrave was running strongly for Town but the final ball never seemed to run kindly for the hosts.
The visitors proceeded to score with their first real attack of the match, snatching the lead from a corner after 21 minutes through Andy Furnell.
Two minutes later, Belgrave was felled outside the box by Soham goalkeeper Ian Pledger, who escaped with a yellow card - much to the outrage of the home dugout.
Ryan Francis then saw two chances saved in quick succession as St Neots tried to get back into the game.
Soham had a strike disallowed early in the second half for offside before Pledger tipped a Russell Lawes free-kick over the bar.
The visitors doubled their lead on 54 minutes when Darren Jimpson took advantage of slack home defending and it was three just eight minutes later when Jon Hoggett's slip let in Furnell.
Steve Kuhne and Belgrave went close with efforts before Franklin's late consolation in the dying moments of the game.
Boss Houghton said: "Soham are a good side but we let in three silly goals and now we have to turn our attentions to the league."
* St Neots welcomed Stotfold to Rowley Park last night. They go to S&L Corby on Saturday before travelling to AFC Kempston on Tuesday.