UNITED COUNTIES LEAGUE: Eynesbury Rovers manager fumes after teenage full-back hurt by horror tackle

Eynesbury Rovers manager Mark Ducket.

Eynesbury Rovers manager Mark Ducket. - Credit: Archant

Eynesbury manager Mark Ducket blasted the ‘disgraceful’ tackle that left one of his players in hospital yesterday.

Eynesbury Rovers defender Ben Hickling's injured leg.

Eynesbury Rovers defender Ben Hickling's injured leg. - Credit: Archant

Rovers’ full-back Ben Hickling was stretchered off during the second half of a goalless United Counties League Premier Division draw at Cogenhoe.

The teenager later underwent x-rays at Hinchingbrooke Hospital where it was confirmed he had escaped with severe bruising to his right shin.

The Cogenhoe player responsible for the challenge – Elliott Lamb Johnson – only received a yellow card.

Ducket said: “It was a disgraceful tackle and the worst I’ve seen.

“I’m just thankful that Ben has come out of it relatively unscathed. He has severe bruising and will be out for a couple of weeks, but it could have been so much worse.

“And for the Cogenhoe player to only receive a yellow card is staggering after a challenge with both feet off the ground.”

Most Read

That wasn’t the only piece of refereeing that upset the Eynesbury boss. He was left fuming when Alex Marsh received a yellow card for simulation early on after being felled in the penalty area.

Ducket was far happier about the result as his side picked up what could prove to be a valuable point in the chase for a top-six finish.

His side were twice saved by the woodwork during the second half before Marsh saw a late chance, during 10 minutes of stoppage time following the Hickling injury, blocked.

“I’m pleased with the point against another team who are in good form,” continued Ducket.

“The lads showed me they can mix it and have a bit of grit against a Cogenhoe team who were nasty and spiteful.”

Eynesbury handed a league debut to 17 year-old goalkeeper Kyle De Garis.

Huntingdon were pushed even closer to the Premier Division trapdoor when on the receiving end of a thumping loss yesterday.

Rock-bottom Town went down 8-1 to a Leicester Nirvana side who returned to the summit courtesy of this Jubilee Park result.

Town conceded five times in the opening period but performed better after the break when substitute Jordan Brockett lashed in a consolation goal.

It is the third time Town have conceded eight goals in a game this season. Their heaviest defeat is a 9-0 loss at title-chasers AFC Kempston Rovers.

They are now 15 points from safety with only nine matches remaining.