U’s footballer seeks extra support
A TALENTED football from Pidley is appealing for sponsorship to allow her to continue playing the sport she loves. Sixteen-year-old Sarah Crook, of Pond Close, plays for Cambridge United Ladies but is facing hefty fees after the club had its funding cut.
A TALENTED football from Pidley is appealing for sponsorship to allow her to continue playing the sport she loves.
Sixteen-year-old Sarah Crook, of Pond Close, plays for Cambridge United Ladies but is facing hefty fees after the club had its funding cut.
Troubled waters at the Abbey Stadium have meant that the Us have withdrawn funding for all non-essential branches - including the women's team.
Sarah's mother Linda Crook said: "It is strange that while in the men's game players are paid to play, it is the other way around in the ladies' game.
You may also want to watch:
"Funding what Sarah loves doing is taking a toll on our finances and we are looking for help."
Sarah, pictured, who has just completed her GCSEs, started playing football for Huntingdon Rowdies at the age of 11.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 3 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 4 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 5 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 6 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 7 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 10 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
A speedy winger, Sarah joined Cambridge United's centre of excellence at 13 and has been playing for the full women's side since the age of 14.
Sarah will attend Abbey College in Ramsey next year to complete A-levels in PE, geography, psychology and human biology.
Any interested sponsor would have their name featured in the Cambridge United match day programme and a special mention once in the season as part of a focus player feature, among other benefits.
# England ladies cricket captain Charlotte Edwards also hails from Pidley.
INFORMATION: Anyone interested in sponsoring Sarah should contact the Hunts Post sportsdesk on firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01480 411481.