Tuesday football: St Ives Town chief wants to create a fortress to boost his side’s promotion bid
- Credit: Archant
Manager Ricky Marheineke has issued a plea to the people of St Ives to turn out in force tonight.
Saints entertain Potters Bar in the first of a series of crucial late-season home clashes at ProEdge Westwood Road (7.45pm) as they bid to nail down a Southern League Division One (Central) play-off spot.
Marheineke’s men have won their last three matches to strengthen their grip on fifth position, and will climb to fourth with another three points tonight.
Marheineke said: “We want as many fans behind us as possible to make the place a fortress.
“This is the first of five really important home fixtures that are going to have a big bearing on whether we manage to make the play-offs or fall short.
“We have to make it an intimidating place for opponents to come and get maximum advantage from playing at home.
“The crowds have been brilliant all season, but it would be lovely to push the numbers up in excess of 350.
- 1 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 Public meeting to discuss Luton aircraft stacking system
- 4 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 7 East West Rail host public event to discuss controversial project
- 8 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 9 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 10 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
“Myself and the players will do our utmost to produce a performance to excite them.”
Teenager Brendan Brown continues in goal for St Ives tonight with regular number one Tim Trebes away. Midfielder Jared Cunniff is unavailable.
Eynesbury Rovers were due to be in action tonight, but a United Counties League Premier Division home clash against Boston Town has been postponed due to the Lincolnshire side being required to play a more pressing cup tie.
Huntingdon’s scheduled date against Holbeach tomorrow is off for the same reason.