TUCKER GARDNER LEAGUE: Table-toppers St Ives triumph in Division Two while Huntingdon & District jump out of the drop-zone
- Credit: Archant
Shaun Asplin starred as St Ives took a big step towards promotion from Tucker Gardner League Division Two yesterday.
Asplin claimed five wickets to help the table-toppers secure a 34-run success against Saffron Walden 2nds at the St Ivo Outdoor Centre.
St Ives recovered after losing opener Umair Tariq from the first ball of the game to post 196-9. Tom McCarthy delivered by far the most significant contribution with a patient 68.
Then Asplin (5-30) and Nikhil Kumpukkal (3-20) took centre stage as St Ives removed the visitors for 162.
Title rivals March kept the pressure firmly on St Ives by pipping another local team, Kimbolton, yesterday.
Three wickets apiece for Martin Moore and Kimbolton skipper Mark Roberts were not enough to prevent March from snatching a three-wicket victory with seven balls to spare.
South African star Ruben Claassen was the biggest contributor to Kimbolton’s offering of 225-8. He scored 80 while Rory Fenton made it to 50.
- 1 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 2 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 3 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 4 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 5 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 6 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 7 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 8 Councillors vote to continue school transport for special needs schools
- 9 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 10 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
Huntingdon & District climbed out of the relegation zone courtesy of a second successive victory.
Opener Faisal Javed hit a half-century as they saw off bottom side Weston Colville by five wickets.
Dario Cummins was the pick of the bowlers with 3-28 as Huntingdon & District removed the lowly visitors for 154 before Javed’s 51 and skipper Martin Burton’s 45 set them on the path to glory.
Warboys drop into the bottom three despite tasting victory themselves yesterday.
Matt Duncan’s side pipped Fordham by one wicket after scraping past the visitors’ tally of 165-9 at Forge Way.
James Trafford took 4-21 and then survived in the final pairing with Sam Vallance as Warboys triumphed.
TUCKER GARDNER LEAGUE
HUNTINGDON & DISTRICT beat WESTON COLVILLE by 5 wkts
Weston Colville 154 (D. Cummins 3-24).
Huntingdon & District 155-5 (F. Javed 51, M. Burton 45).
MARCH beat KIMBOLTON by 3 wkts
Kimbolton 225-8 (R. Claassen 80, R. Fenton 50).
March 226-7 (M. Moore 3-31, M. Roberts 3-48).
ST IVES beat SAFFRON WALDEN 2NDS by 34 runs
St Ives 196-9 (T. McCarthy 68).
Saffron Walden 2nds 162 (S. Asplin 5-30, N. Kumpukkal 3-20).
WARBOYS beat FORDHAM by 1 wkt
Fordham 165-9 (J. Trafford 4-21).
Warboys 166-9 (C. Whitfield 40).