TUCKER GARDNER LEAGUE: Table-toppers Ramsey slip to first defeat while reigning champions Godmanchester are blown away by second-placed side
- Credit: Archant
Ramsey saw their lead at the top of Tucker Gardner League Division One slashed after slipping to a first defeat of the season yesterday.
Michael Cafferkey’s men came up agonisingly short with the bat when going down by three runs at Foxton.
They needed nine from the final over to better their hosts’ total of 229-8, but lost overseas ace Blake Mills to a run-out off the opening ball and were only able to add six runs from the remaining five deliveries.
James Markland top-scored with 53 for Ramsey while Taylor West (45) and Cafferkey (43) also produced useful contributions.
The conquerors of two local teams are now in hot pursuit of Ramsey.
You may also want to watch:
Second-placed Wisbech are just five points adrift after blitzing reigning champions Godmanchester at The Parks.
Captain Paul Swannell (24) and Elliott Baldwin (15) were the only players to reach double-figures as Godmanchester were skittled for just 90 – a tally Wisbech eased past with more than half of their 50 overs to spare.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 5 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 6 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 7 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 8 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
Captain Jonny Carpenter continued his fine run of form as his Eaton Socon side slipped to a second successive defeat.
The five-wicket reverse arrived at third-placed Saffron Walden where a posting of 225 – spearheaded by Carpenter’s own 72 to follow back-to-back centuries in his past two games - was not enough.
Waresley were beaten by another set of strugglers yesterday. An eight-wicket loss at the hands of Ketton provided a fifth defeat in six Division One games.
Mihir Bushan’s 43 and an unbeaten 30 from Alex Scully helped the locals to 205-8, but the visitors eased past that effort for the loss of only two wickets.
TUCKER GARDNER LEAGUE
FOXTON beat RAMSEY by 3 runs
Ramsey 226-8 (J. Markland 53, T. West 45, M. Cafferkey 43).
GODMANCHESTER lost to WISBECH by 8 wkts
SAFFRON WALDEN beat EATON SOCON by 5 wkts
Eaton Socon 225 (J. Carpenter 72, M. Pateman 43).
Saffron Walden 229-5.
WARESLEY lost to KETTON by 8 wkts
Waresley 205-8 (M. Bushan 43, A. Scully 30no).