TUCKER GARDNER LEAGUE: Rose’s bowling helps Godmanchester bloom, leaders Ramsey slip up again but strugglers Waresley pinch dramatic win
- Credit: Archant
Reigning champions Godmanchester eased to an emphatic Tucker Gardner League Division One success against the team containing their title-winning skipper, Matt Pateman.
Simon Rose bagged 4-14 – a haul which included the scalp of Pateman for just four – in a 148-run romp at Eaton Socon.
Elliott Baldwin also had joy with the ball, claiming 3-27, while overseas player Jarryd Phillips wrapped up victory with 2-5 from 11 balls as Socon were skittled for just 100.
Arguably the most important wicket of all was taken by Russel Withey as he removed in-form Socon skipper Jonny Carpenter – a player with three centuries in his previous four games – for eight.
Godmanchester had earlier piled up 258-8 as captain Paul Swannell led the way with 60. Matt Durrrant also cracked a quickfire 46 from 38 balls.
Table-toppers Ramsey suffered a second defeat in the space of three games when going down by 132 runs to Saffron Walden.
Michael Cafferkey’s men collapsed to 146 all out at Cricketfield Lane in pursuit of a hefty target of 278-5 from a visiting side inspired by centurion Giles Ecclestone, whose 120 was clubbed off just 88 balls.
- 1 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 2 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 3 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 5 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 6 Plans to demolish barn and create organic food business
- 7 Philip Pope named mayor of St Ives for a second time
- 8 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 9 St Neots business raises £2700 for Ukrainians in Huntingdonshire
- 10 Public meeting to discuss Luton aircraft stacking system
Only Ollie Stevens (35) and Elliot Cafferkey (34) made any real inroads for a Ramsey side who also saw their advantage in the standings slashed to just four points. Conqeurors Saffron Walden now lead the chase.
Struggling Waresley saw off another set of title hopefuls as they triumphed by one wicket at Nassington – and with one ball to spare.
Captain Jake Allcock (29no) cracked the decsive runs as his side crept past the hosts’ posting of 150 in dramatic style.
Chetan Chauhan (3-19) and Thomas Baker (3-20) both impressed with the ball for Waresley before Ian Donald top-scored with the bat, compiling a patient 53 off 119 balls.
TUCKER GARDNER LEAGUE
GODMANCHESTER beat EATON SOCON by 148 runs
Godmanchester 258-8 (P. Swannell 60, M. Durrant 46, T. Aziz 38, E. Baldwin 36no, J. Wenman 3-27).
Eaton Socon 100 (S. Rose 4-14, E. Baldwin 3-27).
NASSINGTON lost to WARESLEY by 1 wkt
Nassington 150 (C. Chauhan 3-19, T. Baker 3-20).
Waresley 154-9 (I. Donald 53).
RAMSEY lost to SAFFRON WALDEN by 132 runs
Saffron Walden 278-5.
Ramsey 146 (O. Stevens 35, E. Cafferkey 34).