TUCKER GARDNER LEAGUE: Leaders St Ives ‘Speed’ back to winning ways but Huntingdon & District miss out in late drama
- Credit: Archant
Young talent Michael Speed starred as St Ives bounced back to winning ways at the first attempt yesterday.
Speed took 4-8 from seven-and-a-half fine overs as the locals preserved their position at the top of Tucker Gardner League Division Two with an eight-wicket drubbing of Sawston & Babraham.
Nikhil Kumpukkal (4-27) also did plenty of damage as the visitors were removed for 96 – a tally that St Ives had no trouble in eclipsing.
Jack Haycock (38no) batted throughout their quick and successful chase while fellow opener Umair Tariq made 40.
Huntingdon & District came up agonisingly short yesterday as they failed to follow up their success against St Ives the previous weekend.
Martin Burton’s men went down by a single run at Ufford Park – closing on 199 in pursuit of the hosts’ offering of 200-9.
They went into the final over needing five runs for victory and with two wickets in hand, but they were both lost to run-outs – one of which arrived off the final ball.
- 1 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 2 Bosses warn of 'choppy waters' ahead for health trust
- 3 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 4 Pupils enjoy early jubilee celebration with all things royal
- 5 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 6 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 7 New organic coffee shop opens in St Neots
- 8 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 9 Woman who could barely walk is taking part in cycling event after shedding 19 stones
- 10 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
West Indian ace Dario Cummings hit 99 of Huntingdon & District’s runs.
Nick Borkett hit an unbeaten 56 as Kimbolton cruised to an eight-wicket triumph against Fordham.
Martin Moore had earlier taken three wickets as they removed the visitors for just 108.
Warboys endured a bad day with the bat. They were skittled for 110 in a seven-wicket reverse at the hands of Saffron Walden 2nds.
TUCKER GARDNER LEAGUE
KIMBOLTON beat FORDHAM by 8 wkts
Fordham 108 (M. Moore 3-30).
Kimbolton 112-2 (N. Borkett 56no).
ST IVES beat SAWSTON & BABRAHAM by 8 wkts
Sawston & Babraham 96 (M. Speed 4-8, N. Kumpukkal 4-27).
St Ives 97-2 (U. Tariq 40, J. Haycock 38no).
UFFORD PARK beat HUNTINGDON & DISTRICT by 1 run
Ufford Park 200-9 (C. Nelson 3-40).
Huntingdon & District 199 (D. Cummins 99, F. Javed 33).
WARBOYS lost to SAFFRON WALDEN 2NDS by 7 wkts
Saffron Walden 2nds 111-3.