Triumph for new athletics squad
A NEWLY formed Cambridgeshire athletics squad consisting of some of the best athletes in the county have brought home victory after achieving first place in two leagues. Under the management of Nigel Faben and captains Scott Fields and Chloe Edwards, the
A NEWLY formed Cambridgeshire athletics squad consisting of some of the best athletes in the county have brought home victory after achieving first place in two leagues.
Under the management of Nigel Faben and captains Scott Fields and Chloe Edwards, the newly formed Team Cambridgeshire Athletic Squad came first in the Under-20 National Junior Athletic League Thames Division and the NJL Southern Promotion League.
This was the first time the team had entered the competitions.
The league was held at the Thames Valley Stadium and brought together some of the south's major athletic clubs, including
Harrow, Bournemouth, Medway &
Maidstone, Basildon, Ashford, Brighton & Hove and the Vale of Aylesbury.
- 1 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 2 Motion passed to send letter to Michael Gove after objections to incinerator plan
- 3 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 4 Charming 'cakery' selling sweet treats opens in Ramsey
- 5 Huntingdonshire History Festival returns this summer
- 6 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 7 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 8 More roads should come under 20mph scheme, say councillors
- 9 New bridal shop is childhood dream for Michelle
- 10 Cambridgeshire records one of lowest Covid fine rates in country
All teams were hoping to be placed in the top two on the day to give themselves a
promotion place into the National Junior Premier League for 2007. With a high
percentage of Team Cambridgeshire still in the under-17 age group they performed well against older athletes recording new personal bests in both the track and field events.
The team came in first place, recording a score of 477 points with Harrow coming in second place with 452.5 points. Team caption Chloe Edwards won the discus after throwing 39.96m.