Tributes paid to ‘well-respected’ referee and football official
- Credit: Archant
Tributes have been paid to a popular Huntingdonshire football official who died last Wednesday (August 31).
Chris Dance, 64, was the secretary, fixture secretary and the referees secretary of the Huntingdonshire Sunday Football League, a respected referee in his own right and a member of the Huntingdonshire FA Council.
Mark Frost, county secretary of the Huntingdonshire Football Association, said: “Our sympathy is with Chris’s family, wife Sue, son Simon, and daughter Heather, our thoughts and prayers are with them at this very sad time.
“Chris will very much be missed by many people, not least the football community.”
Chris started his passion for football playing in Hertfordshire for Welwyn Wanderers in 1967, also joining Macmillan Blodel in 1969. Chris continued to play for Macmillan Blodel until 1988, and throughout this time was the club wecretary and treasurer, where from 1985 until 1988 was also the reserve team manager.
In 1970, Chris and two friends formed Lemsford United FC where he held the roles of secretary and treasurer and in 1989 team manager. Chris remained with Lemsford United FC until 1991.
In 1992 Chris took over as Manager of Krypton Athletic FC – a role he held until 1994.
- 1 Small community café in St Neots "just hanging on"
- 2 Police dog helped find drugs and knife in Ramsey
- 3 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 4 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 5 Great honour for two men awarded the freedom of Huntingdon
- 6 Come and see Huntingdon's Beacon lighting ceremony for the Jubilee
- 7 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 8 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 9 Large Hotel of the Year winner is proud of its history
- 10 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
In 1995 Chris qualified as a referee, and quickly gained promotion from Level 7 through to Level 5. Chris was a very well respected referee and assistant referee on the various local leagues including the United Counties League and represented his County FA on numerous FA appointments in the FA Cup FA Trophy and FA Vase Competitions.
Chris received Huntingdonshire FA Cup Final appointments in the years from 1999 to 2007, plus 2010, 2011 and 2012. He also had many cup final appointments from the leagues. He was also a referees assessor.
Chris was a member of the Huntingdonshire Referees Association, and served as a committee member from 2005 to 2008.
Chris joined the council of the Huntingdonshire FA in 2011 as the representative of the St Neots & District Sunday Football League – which changed its name in 2014 to Huntingdonshire Sunday Football League.
He served on the rules advisory and sanctions committee, the county cups committee and the marketing committee.