Treble triumph as the Barley boys deliver a Hunts Lower Junior Cup final demolition of higher-level Fenstanton

AFC Barley Mow celebrate their Hunts Lower Junior Cup success. Picture: DAVID LOWNDES

AFC Barley Mow celebrate their Hunts Lower Junior Cup success. Picture: DAVID LOWNDES - Credit: Archant

AFC Barley Mow player-boss Sean Sweeney has hailed his treble-winners after they brought the curtain down on a stunning debut season in Saturday football in style.

The Huntingdon side recorded an emphatic 7-1 win over Fenstanton to lift the Hunts Lower Junior Cup at Yaxley FC last night.

Sweeney’s men, who have also won the John Ablett Cup and the Cambs League Division 3B title, scored a quick-fire double in each half to take the game away from higher-level opposition. Fenstanton have themselves earned promotion this season courtesy of a runners-up finish in Division 2B.

“The lads were absolutely brilliant,” said Sweeney. “Every single one of them worked hard from the moment they got on the pitch.

“They were all incredible in a game where we were not expecting a result like this.”

The opening exchanges were fairly even, with both sides having half-chances to score, but Barley took command with two goals in as many minutes.

Adam Armstrong opened the scoring with a glancing header from Nick Gingell’s pinpoint cross before Dean Legg stylishly struck from outside the area to double their lead.

Most Read

And they further strengthened their grip on the final when Legg struck again on the stroke of half-time, heading in an Adam Lacey corner.

But if Barley Mow thought it couldn’t get any better, they were wrong as they produced a lightning start to the second half with another two-goal salvo in the space of two minutes.

Armstrong struck with his head for the second time before Jack Cleghorn got in on the act to fire them into an unassailable advantage.

Not content with scoring twice, Armstrong turned provider as he played in substitute Callum Hearn to slot a sixth goal after a fantastic turn.

Fenstanton did score a consolation goal with a quarter-of-an-hour remaining when Ben Fuller pounced on a communication breakdown between Barley goalkeeper Graeme Drewery and a defender, but it was the winners who finished on a high.

Gingell touched the ball past two defenders before firing into the bottom corner in stoppage time to cap a fine night in style.


AFC Barley Mow: Graeme Drewry, Craig Beale, Liam Murray, Chris Newman, Sam Phillips, Dean

Legg, Adam Armstrong, Sean Sweeney, Adam Lacey, Nick Gingell, Jack Cleghorn Subs: Callum Hearn,

Tom Peattie, Jake Peattie, Callum Barker, Alex Baldar.

Fenstanton: Adam Buckingham, Martin Fowler, Paul Street, Ryan Hunt, Aaran Balls, David Moore,

Ben Hall, Dion Lee, Adam Berill, Ben Fuller, Salv Merola Subs: Luke Males, Scott Wilkinson, Scott

Morrison, Darren Bryant, Kieran Heaford.

Officials: Ryan Allison (referee) Robert Cusick (assistant referee), Robert Goldstone (assistant referee), Andrew Ward (fourth official).

Attendance: 78