Town struggle to find form in dour draw
UCL Division One Huntingdon Town 1 Northampton Sileby Rangers 1 FOLLOWING a fine Hunts Premier Cup win at Ely City, Town came down to earth with a bump with a disappointing home performance. Huntingdon have now picked up only 10 points from their last 10
UCL Division One
Huntingdon Town 1 Northampton Sileby Rangers 1
FOLLOWING a fine Hunts Premier Cup win at Ely City, Town came down to earth with a bump with a disappointing home performance.
Huntingdon have now picked up only 10 points from their last 10 league matches and on this form, a place in the top four seems a long way off.
You may also want to watch:
After the excellent performance at Ely in midweek it was a very disjointed and, at times, half-hearted approach to a game that Town really needed to win to keep their promotion hopes alive.
Rangers made life difficult for the hosts but Town had chances as James Edwards and new boy Danny White missed good opportunities to open the scoring.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 7 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 8 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
It took until nine minutes before half-time for the game to come to life as Richard Moore scored a fine solo effort.
Picking up the ball wide left he cut inside at pace leaving five tackles in his wake. Switching the ball to his left foot he then drilled an unstoppable shot into the net to make it three goals in his last three games.
Any hopes this would spark Town into life were short-lived as Rangers nipped in to grab an equaliser after 57 minutes.
Huntingdon introduced Ricky Dear into midfield on his return from injury but he could not inspire his side to victory.
Town boss Darren Young said: "We got no more than we deserved because we played some very ordinary football. I was left tearing my hair out because we had played so well days earlier."
Hunts Premier Cup Round One
Ely City 1 Huntingdon Town 2
GOALS from Lee Bassett and Richard Moore saw Town set up a home clash with Biggleswade after a fine win at Ridgeons League side Ely City.
Bassett gave Darren Young's men the lead in the first half after clever play by Eddie Mills and despite conceding an equaliser, Moore wrapped up the win after the break.
Chris Caswell was denied a third when his effort was adjudged not to have crossed the line but Young praised his side's 'fully-committed' performance.
* Huntingdon host St Ives Town tonight (Wednesday) in a cup fixture, go to high-flying Whitworths on Saturday and travel to Rothwell Corinths on Tuesday.